Basic Assembly Guide (suggestions)

Robert

Reverse Engineer
I'm working on putting together a generalized guide showing the basic steps for assembling a PedalPCB board. This will be a single guide covering the common aspects across all projects. Not really a "Beginners Guide to Pedal Building", but just covering the questions that are asked regularly.

If you can think of any topics that should be covered let me know and I'll add them to the list.
  • LED orientation
  • Potentiometer orientation
  • Off-board wiring
  • LDR/LED assembly
I'm debating between standard downloadable PDF format, or a Wiki-style format. PDF format is easier to download/print and save for later, but Wiki format would ensure that you are always reading the most up-to-date information (with the benefit of revision tracking). Most Wiki software has a "Download as PDF" function (although page formatting is sometimes altered), so this would still be an option.

I've actually considered using a Wiki for the project build docs for this same reason.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree sticking with a PDF downloadable format is the most efficient medium for the drilling template. Maybe the build guides could go into a Wiki which would be easier to maintain. I think there are some cases where different ICs or transistors can be used that are more readily available and that would be helpful to show or maybe a link to purchase some of the substitutes, like BBD chips from Small Bear. Also, having the voltages of the ICs so that builders could check before they boxed up the pedal would be helpful as well. Just my 2 cents.

A list of IC and transistor substitues would be great indeed. Same for the voltages to test and troubleshoot.

I'd go with the Wiki too. Drill templates can be made available as download from the wiki.

Yes, drill templates would have to remain as a downloadable PDF in order to be reliably printed to scale.

However, this would greatly simplify modifications... Right now each build docs contains it's own copy of it's drill template. which means any modification has to be manually applied to each document. Something as simple as adding measurements between drill locations (or hole sizes) would be a major undertaking. If each document linked to a single set of drill templates an entire set could be updated all at once.

As for parts, I'm already working on a more advanced method for parts lists that I think will be quite helpful once it's complete.

For parts, I have been making a spreadsheet column for the parts needed for each pedal and a spot for how many I am building at the top. I then have columns on the left for how many of each part I need, how many I have, and how many I need to order. If there is a way to make this easier, that would be awesome.

A lot of the drill templates are redundant in terms of the model of pedal. Fore example, maybe make a six pot drill template and you can reference it in the build guide page. I know that there are some special cases, but this would make things easier.

A lot of the drill templates are redundant in terms of the model of pedal. Fore example, maybe make a six pot drill template and you can reference it in the build guide page. I know that there are some special cases, but this would make things easier.

Yep, that's how they're organized on my end. There are all the generic templates (4-Knob, 5-Knob, etc) and then there are the specialized ones that are specific to a single project. The complication is that they are individually linked into each of the build docs. Changes made to the master copy aren't automatically pushed into all of the individual references.

Also a Wiki would let you select certain people to help keep up the pages if you ever chose to delegate those responsibilities.

And I would be glad to help if needed.

Last edited:
For parts, I have been making a spreadsheet column for the parts needed for each pedal and a spot for how many I am building at the top. I then have columns on the left for how many of each part I need, how many I have, and how many I need to order. If there is a way to make this easier, that would be awesome.

I use the same method... you want to have all the parts on hand when doing a build for sure. If you are planning a few builds, it helps to have a master list (bill of materials).

A list of the actual program patches found on the various EEPROMs for the FV-1 you sell would be pretty useful. What's on the Module8, the Octagon, the Kaleidoscope, etc . . . ???

A list of the actual program patches found on the various EEPROMs for the FV-1 you sell would be pretty useful. What's on the Module8, the Octagon, the Kaleidoscope, etc . . . ???

Specific EEPROMs are generally available for specific effects:
Kaleidoscope PCB
Kaleidoscope EEPROM
This chip is programmed with the Kaleidoscope algorithm. Most other FV-1 effects work the same way. (You can often just swap the EEPROMs, too)

For the Module 8 or Octagon just scroll down and the algorithms are listed.

If you want to choose your own, you can do so with the EEPROM builder and put it into an Arachnid.

Since it's in wiki format, users could submit mods that could be tacked on to the page. It'd be good to have a "general troubleshooting" page, but also you (and users) could offer pedal specific problems for troubleshooting.

Since it's in wiki format, users could submit mods that could be tacked on to the page. It'd be good to have a "general troubleshooting" page, but also you (and users) could offer pedal specific problems for troubleshooting.

It would be cool if @PedalPCB would make provisions for users to upload and share user-created EEPROM algorithms, but it would likely be here in the forums rather than on the product page. For now, you could probably start looking around here https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

What do you mean by 'troubleshooting page?' We have a forum here dedicated to troubleshooting (though there isn't a set procedure).

What do you mean by 'troubleshooting page?' We have a forum here dedicated to troubleshooting (though there isn't a set procedure).

True.

I just picked up a Mammoth kit (cause it was on sale, and I needed a confidence boost after screwing up so many pedals :cautious: .) They have a kind of super noob guide tacked onto the end of their PDFs, and one of the docs has a "8 most common problems" troubleshooting guide too.

I know we have a searchable/askable forum for troubleshooting, but I wondered if it might be nice to have a single location for the most common problems so *ahem* people like me can go through the most likely problems/solutions before bothering the rest of y'all.

Of course a sticky post on Troubleshooting would accomplish the same thing... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would be cool if @PedalPCB would make provisions for users to upload and share user-created EEPROM algorithms

I'd like to add an algorithm repository of sorts... If nothing else, just a forum category for posting the SpinASM source.

My biggest concern is moderating it / ensuring that no EEPROM dumps from commercial pedals is added.

Back