A couple of AionFX builds: Spectron & Redshift

Dan M

I’ve been fiddling with filters lately and I don’t own a phaser (weird, right?). So I thought, “These are big and complicated. That probably means they’re the best.” Well, they are definitely complicated!

Artwork is Tayda UV printing with gloss. I used Inkscape for design and Scribus for pdf creation, aka “Dan M’s no cost artwork workflow.” I copied the Lovetone Meatball artwork for the Spectron. I stayed with the redshift concept for the phaser and made the second rate setting “blueshift”.

Hardware is a mix of Tayda and Stompboxparts.

I’ve played for a few minutes to function check the pedals, but I barely broke the surface on figuring out the features. A couple of things I’m interested to check out:

On the Spectron, I’ll spend some time running different OD/Fuzz/Distortion before, after, and inside the send/return loop.

On the Redshift, it can run very fast and very slow, almost a minute long sweep peak to peak.

**Edit: After spending time with the Redshift, I highly recommend it. I put a compressor and OD in front of it to increase sustain and set the rate to “pad” and slowed it waaaayyy down. I completely spaced out playing along and waiting for the sweep to bounce back. Very therapeutic, it’s a sweet machine.

90E30D8B-7D0D-430B-93DF-FE49BB619388.jpeg
489055B6-978D-408B-9904-A307314EED43.jpeg

Last edited:
Are there any gotchas to keep in mind when using Inkscape etc? I really wanna jump on the UV print train but I don’t really want to pay Adobe for Illustrator…

Are there any gotchas to keep in mind when using Inkscape etc? I really wanna jump on the UV print train but I don’t really want to pay Adobe for Illustrator…
Like any other program, it took a few tries to figure out. The only gotcha that I ran into was a layer that came out the wrong size. I never figured out why it kept resetting to the wrong size. I ended up starting a new file from scratch without any issues.

Once the artwork is done in Inkscape, I save it and then open it in Scribus to make the final pdf file. Scribus is also free. I had an issue where the pdf was not creating the layers correctly, but that seems to be fixed in the latest software release.

I haven’t had any issues with Tayda accepting and printing the files.

I made these the same way. Both graphics were pictures that I vectorized in Inkscape:
3F7C2558-00C7-494D-BDAD-8A80AEA943AE.jpeg

Back