Making Starboard Fuzz Louder?...

Coda

I recently completed the Starboard Fuzz (Mosrite Fuzz-rite). Sonically, it sounds like its supposed to, for the most part*. However, the pedal is pretty quiet. Maxed out, there is a significant volume drop. Is there a mod to remedy this?

*I think I may have made a mistake: the Depth control seems to work in reverse. All the way to the left is full fuzz. Turning to the right thins the fuzz out. The pot is mounted to the PCB, so it cant be in backwards...

Hmm, that's how it was drawn on the schematic that was used but there seems to have been some debate about which way the pot should be connected....

It does seem more intuitive for it to behave the other way around though, so I might have to revise this one.

If that's the case and you want an updated PCB just shoot me a message.

Hmm, that's how it was drawn on the schematic that was used but there seems to have been some debate about which way the pot should be connected....

It does seem more intuitive for it to behave the other way around though, so I might have to revise this one.

If that's the case and you want an updated PCB just shoot me a message.

I'm not disappointed. I think it is a bit counter-intuitive the way it is, but its definitely not a deal-breaker. I wasn't prepared for it, but its not that big a deal. Reminds me a bit of how the tone control on a 3-knob Tonebender works...

I may mess around with some different transistors in this one. I like it with the 2N3904, but am curious as to how other stuff would work. Its a fun pedal...kinda between a Maestro and a Tonebender, with a kind of false octave thing going on. Though, for the first 20 mins, all I could think to play was Iron Butterfly...

Also, regarding the volume drop. Standing next to the amp, it definitely sounds like a volume drop. However, when recorded (well, just with an iphone) there doesn't seem to the a volume drop at all. I have heard that this pedal cuts pretty well, so that makes sense...

As an addendum to my previous post, and for anyone else who may stumble upon this thread looking into this build, I have read that swapping the transistors will not make too much of a difference, as this circuit is “self-biasing” (DC feedback). That could be a crock of bull, but it makes sense...

The clone I have is based on a Catalinbread one and just adds a boost stage after, like some other modded projects I've seen.

I'm going to make another one, but stock and hear how converting a 500k pot to about 350k changes the filter sweep. Nostradoomus, what did you use? I plan on a pair of 2222.

I recently completed the Starboard Fuzz (Mosrite Fuzz-rite). Sonically, it sounds like its supposed to, for the most part*. However, the pedal is pretty quiet. Maxed out, there is a significant volume drop. Is there a mod to remedy this?

*I think I may have made a mistake: the Depth control seems to work in reverse. All the way to the left is full fuzz. Turning to the right thins the fuzz out. The pot is mounted to the PCB, so it cant be in backwards...
Does your Depth knob react the opposite of this Demo:
35 seconds in

Does your Depth knob react the opposite of this Demo:
35 seconds in

You are correct. I get the cleanest tone with the control maxed right, and the fuzziest tone maxed left. Though, that’s a bit misleading. It’s not more or less fuzz, just the tone of it. Left is thick and hairy (though not really all that thick), and right is thin and kind of sharp. In the middle, it’s interesting. It seems super compressed, plenty buzzy, but a bit distant...

I put some 5088’s in the pedal. It doesn’t really sound all that different. Maybe the tone is a bit more rich sounding, but that could be a trick. The volume is still low. The pedal sounds far away when you turn it on...

If you’re in to experimenting, try C500K for depth and A500k for volume...I’m curious haha. I’ve seen so many different schematics for this.

Your Electrolytic Capacitor is wrong, Positive should be facing Footswitch, Negative to the Top.
According to the build doc, yes, but not the pcb itself (on the right)...

Attachments

• 4E45C802-AFF2-4E65-B1AF-84FEEB3CF422.jpeg
    4E45C802-AFF2-4E65-B1AF-84FEEB3CF422.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 16
If you’re in to experimenting, try C500K for depth and A500k for volume...I’m curious haha. I’ve seen so many different schematics for this.
I’ll think about it...but this thing was pretty difficult to cram in there. I had a few 1590B’s laying around, and wanted to make use of them. I didn’t consider the depth, and getting the pots and the jacks in were rough...

Back