A fail safe way to deal with LEDs

boji

I always struggle with fitting the LED.

Since the LED must be inserted from inside the enclosure, the drilling has to be absolutely spot-on in order for the LED legs to go through the PCB easily. Needless to say, mine is not JoviBenKenobi good yet.

In Jovi’s step-by-step guide, the LED fits right away. It’s almost never the case for me.

Do you have some tips on dealing with the Led? Thanks!

Reactions: fig
I never even try to mount directly to the pcb. I use screw terminals for most off board components and just use wired LEDs with LED bezels

I never even try to mount directly to the pcb. I use screw terminals for most off board components and just use wired LEDs with LED bezels
Would you mind sharing a picture of what you mean by screw terminals? Thanks ☺️

Last edited:
Reactions: fig
I've been socketing them. I prep the LED by extending the leads with wire, by soldering a solid core wire to the LED leads, and heat shrinking the exposed part. Then the other end of this wire goes right into the socket.

Here's a photo of this in action. In fact this one has 2 LEDS, one for the on-off, and one that blinks with the tremolo rate. They're both socketed. One is in the "normal" location, the other is the one on the right side, and the LED is under the PCB.

IMG_20210605_151432188.jpg

Failsafe way to deal with LEDs is to not use them.

That would suck.

I use 3PDT breakout boards that have the LED located on them, instead of using the motherboard's LED location.

Failsafe way to deal with LEDs is to not use them.

That would suck.

I use 3PDT breakout boards that have the LED located on them, instead of using the motherboard's LED location.
I wholeheartedly agree. LEDs are essential (I recently modded a treble booster to add a LED (and a 9V plug).)

I've started moving them all next to the footswitch. Most builds have a ton of room there. I solder wire to the LED legs and then put some heat shrink over the legs to keep them from shorting on anything. Then I use a drop of super glue to keep it in the bezel.

If you really want to solder them to the PCB and have them held into their hole that way, I put both leads through the PCB and bend the ends so it doesn't fall out. Then some needle nose pliers to get the LED into the hole once the PCB is in, and then solder (so you know they are then exactly the right length). Like this...

IMG_2047.jpg

Now, if you want to socket it, I've had good luck with cutting my leads off at about 10-12mm and having it fit just right. Just make sure you mark your anode (I just use a sharpie).

Back