Suggestions for Soldering an FV-1 Chip

RobW

I'm getting ready to build a few boards that require the FV1 chip. Since I've never built a board with a surface mounted chip, I'd like to practice before destroying a more expensive chip. Does anyone have any suggestions on some pcb's I could buy to practice on? Similar type of chips are relatively cheap and easy to get, but I haven't had much luck finding PCB's to mount them on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not looking to build anything that works, just want to practice soldering. Thanks !

Reactions: fig
Amazon has some SMD practice kits under $10... that would be one route you could go... not sure how cost effective that would be compared to just getting an assessment of smd parts and a few prototype boards from Tayda your next order and just give it a go.

Not to tighten your grip on that soldering iron, but expense is really a non-issue if you can't source any.
+1 to @Paradox916 and @SYLV9ST9R (who posted 1 second before me).
I soldered my first last week. I didn't practice but seriously considered it, mostly because I'm wearing 4 year-old prescription lenses and my astigmatism has unfortunately worsened. I use a magnifier so that helps. The other issue is steadiness. My muscles don't stay put like they used to so it sometimes takes a stab or 3 to hit the mark, but I'd stack my soldering alongside most solder-slinging guitar-playin pedal-building beans this side of Unobtania.
That being said, and let me tell you it took some saying to say it....I really had no trouble. I got a bead of solder on the tip, and anchored one leg, then the opposing one. Now it won't move! The rest became repetition except for a solder-bridge that was easily fixed with two swipes between them with a clean tip. Take your time!

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't mind spending a little on practicing.. Just hate the thought of destroying the FV1's.. especially since chips in general are becoming hard to get these days.. the masking tape trick sounds good as well. Also good to hear that it may not be as hard as I was thinking !

yeah everything @SYLV9ST9R recommended, especially taking your time!
Send it on a first try Friday, I think the fv1 chips are pretty strong if I haven't burned one yet

Tack and reflow the opposite corners and you're good. I personally wouldn't reccomend drag soldering, maybe I'm missing something or using too much flux but when ever I try drag soldering I end up having to wick off solder that got between legs. So I just do each leg one by one, takes more time but I don't mind since I'm building one pedal at a time.

But honestly, as others have said, lots of good liquid flux, good solder, stick down one pin on one end, re-adjust if needed, do opposite pin.
Then add again liquid flux, I do the other pins one by one.
It can help to hold the chip in place initially with Blue Tack or painters tape.

You're right about that cooder... I got an alert on the 1st from pedalpcb that the chips came in, so placed my order right away. Also saw on the 2nd, that there is insufficient stock again, so hopefully my order will be fulfilled. Big demand on the FV-1 chips

I’ve done drag, reflow (oven & hotplate), and hot-air. All work well enough and I’ve yet to scrap a board or chip. Solder bridges are possible with any technique but are easily remedied with a small patch of well placed copper braid and some heat.
You can clear bridges with a clean Iron tip pretty easily most of the time

Unfortunately, the tip of my cheap soldering station (the Musikding one, that is good enough for me) was worn after some years, the tip is broken. Finally I bought a new one, from Musikding, but it's not sharp like the original one, it's a bit round, like a used pencil.
I think I have to wait to find a sharp tip to try to solder the FV-1. What do you think?

Soldered 1st pin and the bottom right pin to position it , my solder was a bit to thick so I fluxed all the pins and went for the 'cover all the pins in solder' technique and it worked , then I used the suck all 'the solder off technique' and hey presto it worked , i think you need a good solder sucker.
this was 1st time I did this smd thingy. Used a flat tip , probably use a pointed tip next time, if the damn arachnid boards arrive .. it take ages from the states.

Back