Looks like I'm out of excuses...

peccary

A couple of weeks ago I put a line out with my dad asking if he had or knew where to get a sheet metal brake. Given his job and hobbies I expected him to either have an old one or to know of someone who likely had an old one lying around. I have it in my mind that I can make some smaller versions of those old consoles with the wooden cheeks and have a project or two in mind where I think they'd be pretty cool.

Then, yesterday, I hear a massive clunk on our porch and I walk out to find he just had a new one sent to my house.

I imagine it will take some planning and trial and (lots of) error, but now it looks like I now have a new direction to try out in terms of making my own enclosures.

brake.jpg

Nice! That should do 20ga, maybe 18.
Supposedly it can do up 20 ga mild steel and 16 ga aluminum.

There's a metal supply place not far from me and I may swing by this weekend to see what they have in stock. Hopefully I can find something that needs minimal cutting as that's another concern. I have shears but cleaning that all up will be time consuming.

Supposedly it can do up 20 ga mild steel and 16 ga aluminum.

There's a metal supply place not far from me and I may swing by this weekend to see what they have in stock. Hopefully I can find something that needs minimal cutting as that's another concern. I have shears but cleaning that all up will be time consuming.
Too bad we're not neighbors. I have a large metal chop saw, a portaband, or a torch

Pretty excited to see where this goes. You can get a nibbler drill attachment pretty cheap.

I think you might want some sort of grinder to clean up edges, but I'm not sure.

Also, not sure how much metal work you've done, but you definitely want to hit all the edges with a deburring tool (Link) before you get started. The edges of a sheet of aluminum are like razors if you don't.

Last edited:
Pretty excited to see where this goes. You can get a nibbler drill attachment pretty cheap.

I think you might want some sort of grinder to clean up edges, but I'm not sure.

Also, not sure how much metal work you've done, but you definitely want to hit all the edges with a deburring tool (Link) before you get started. The edges of a sheet of aluminum are like razors if you don't.

I have an angle grinder and was considering that for cleaning it up, I'll just have to use a light touch. I think that a nibbler will very much be worth it, but I want to hold off at least till I've got proof of concept before I spend any more money.

My metalworking experience is with traditional blacksmithing. So I have some, it's just that it's all based on hundred year old knowledge and old wives tales 🤣

I’m in! I have a TIG welder. No need for JB weld folks. I can fill those holey molely enclosures with some hot snot liquid metal.
Pretty soon @Harry Klippton is going to have tents popping up on the north 40 of his homestead. When he asks them what they are doing there he'll just hear mumblings about rumors of a new Christiania while someone asks to use his cutting torch.

Amp chassis.... just saying...
94FGSlL.jpg

My brother (who lives around 3500km away) bought me a Saw Stop table saw about 6 months ago, and it's fantastic. Now I can build all of the box-jointed amp cabs I need. And i have built over a half dozen already. The bit I hate doing is covering them in tolex. I've done a few and finished a couple in varnish because the guys I built them for requested it. (It's interesting how different they sound without the tolex)

But a sheetmetal bender? Awesome! I do a little work in sheetmetal and still use a file at times when the grinder is likely to be too aggressive. The flappy discs are good - they have layers of garnet cloth so are a bit gentler than an old fashioned disc but they can still remove a lot of metal in a short space of time.

My dream would be to have a workshop fitted out with all of this gear and dust-extraction too. I guess I'm slowly getting there!

Good luck Mr Peccary! I can't wait to see what you produce.

My brother (who lives around 3500km away) bought me a Saw Stop table saw about 6 months ago, and it's fantastic. Now I can build all of the box-jointed amp cabs I need. And i have built over a half dozen already. The bit I hate doing is covering them in tolex. I've done a few and finished a couple in varnish because the guys I built them for requested it. (It's interesting how different they sound without the tolex)

But a sheetmetal bender? Awesome! I do a little work in sheetmetal and still use a file at times when the grinder is likely to be too aggressive. The flappy discs are good - they have layers of garnet cloth so are a bit gentler than an old fashioned disc but they can still remove a lot of metal in a short space of time.

My dream would be to have a workshop fitted out with all of this gear and dust-extraction too. I guess I'm slowly getting there!

Good luck Mr Peccary! I can't wait to see what you produce.
Tell us more about the sound difference with or without tolex!

Back