Solderless transistor auditioning

jwin615

Yeah. I know. It's called a bread board.
Typical engineer trying to find a solution to a problem no one complained about, I had a stroke or a stroke of genius. Not sure which.
Basically, grab some long male on male headers and some female on female Dupont wires.
Snip a 3 pole piece of header off and bend as shown. Basically the outer two legs bend back 10-15° and kink the middle one where they all pinch once inserted. Should be enough contact to do the thing to the thing.
Picture, thousand words, stuff...
IMG_20231230_224437649.jpg IMG_20231230_224430923.jpg IMG_20231230_224304234.jpg IMG_20231230_224618575_HDR.jpg
Jam your germaniums in the other end, or use male to female DuPont's and take it to the bread board where it belongs.
I would recommend attaching your Dupont wires before inserting into the pcb.
Do what you will with it. Happy New Year everyone.

And yeah. My bench looks gross zoomed in. That particular spot is worse from the isopropyl. It's an old 100+lb commercial door. I can put a V8 on this bench and it won't flinch. I hide under it when storms come.
Enough talk about benches and holes. Go make something cool.

That's cool, and way cheaper than the little hockey-puck Mill-Max sockets.
Yeah, but not perfect. Your still have to solder your transistor in while having a pot in the way ...
I guess one could solder top side.
I'm trying to figure a way to audition and avoid milmimax sockets(even though I probably have 30) and desoldering in general.

I know the ultimate answer is breadboarding but I don't have the time to do that constantly. That and we breadboarded sonmuch in school it feels like a chore.

I’ll break off three of the sockets from a strip and just use them. They’re pretty easy to desolder and remove each one once you’ve found the right tranny and are ready to commit.

I totally get the "build it, socket-the-bits-you-need-to-explore" thing.

Just last night I found my old Dod250/Dist+ board that I'd FULLY socketed — from when I didn't breadboard at all, well hardly at all.
Just seems a lot of work to set up a fully breadboarded circuit knowing you're going to have to set it all up on a PCB/VERO/PERF right after you figure out which input capacitor size you want to use.
Build the damn thing, socket the input cap (or whatever needs fiddling)... done in half the time.

Back