DEMO ShinDig Overdrive (E.N.T Effects Shin -hit Over Drive 46)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
As I mentioned in my MailBox post, this was one I requested and sent @Robert a link to consider, next thing I know (like 2 minutes later) I get a message from him that he bought it heh.

As I recall it was on Reverb as these are Japanese pedals and don't seem to have much a retail outlet here. But nevertheless cool pedal company.
Some of my favorite PPCB overdrive builds have been from Japanese boutique pedal companies.
Free the Tone, Providence, etc.

When I first listened to the demos it sounded a bit like a Zen drive, and having built it now that hasn't changed. It doesn't have the mid hump of the Zen but the gain has some of the same qualities.

I found the sweet spot for me was with the gain knob pretty low, it's the most musical sounding to me.

So chalk up another one for low gain fans, this is a highly recommended build!

I haven't been feeling very well last couple of days, so it's not my best work on the pedal or the demo.

But here it is.

IMG_6233.JPG

Absolutely LOVING @szukalski 's micro relay boards. Having my preferred 1590B with relay switching is the bomb!

IMG_6232.JPG

I also mentioned in my Gold Foil Tele thread that I cut a new pickguard for my GF Tele and moved the middle pickup a little closer to the neck to have a bit more picking room. I think it also looks a little more balanced as well.

I moved it about 1/4". It has not effected the tone.

Speaking of tone, in my original demo, I had the bridge pickup wired out of phase. I didn't realize it because it was my first time playing Gold Foils.
But the more I played it, the more it was evident something was wrong.

Rob @ Cavalier always grounds the steel baseplate (and neck pickup covers) separately on his Tele pickups. So solving phase issues is simply a matter of swapping the leads on the pickups. Easy Peasy.

It sounds much better now in the positions where the bridge pickup is selected with either the neck or the middle.

The only thing is I goofed and ordered a matte black pickguard instead of gloss. But I think it still looks ok.

IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_6229.JPG

Sounds more like Timmy than a Zen Drive. I dig it either way.

The matte pickguard looks better with the aged aesthetic of the rest of the guitar imo.

What's up with this spot:
View attachment 60945

Discombobulator? Crystal Lattice diffuser? Flux Capacitor?
I forgot to mention, the original has some goofy components, some of which I'd never heard of.
The opamp is available at mouse.

The original also uses a bridge rectifier available at Tayda.

Or you can use the 4x 1n4007's which @Robert so kindly added. It doesn't affect the tone. So it's one or the other but not both.

I wound up using an NE5532.

It also has a 470n and a 100n in parallel on IC1.2. Why not just use a 560n? Maybe he couldn't get a 560n in the brand he wanted?

Thos pedal sounds interesting. I quite like the Zen Drive and prefer it at lower gain.

It also has a 470n and a 100n in parallel on IC1.2. Why not just use a 560n? Maybe he couldn't get a 560n in the brand he wanted?

Thos pedal sounds interesting. I quite like the Zen Drive and prefer it at lower gain.
You'd probably dig this pedal @HamishR but you'd probably also mess with a the clipping diodes....cuz.....jus sayin.... :p

Back