ECHO-O (Magnetron / Keeley Magnetic Echo)

Thk

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
My first delay build and I am stoked it's finally ready!

I think MichaelW hit the nail on the head that it's crucial how the gain trimmer is set on the Magnetron. I had it too high at first and the delay was quite overpowering. Then I overcorrected and felt that the delay lacked punch. Now that I have it set how I like it (a bit past 12 o'clock), I really like this delay. I also feel like the modulation is key here. My favourite setting is a slap back delay with the modulation speed all the way off and depth set to taste. I got this idea from Andy's demo of the Mag Echo. Somehow having the speed at 0 and a bit of depth blurs the attack a bit but otherwise makes the delay more punchy.

There were some struggles with the build also. First, I got a wrong enclosure from Musikding and it took over 2 months and many an email to get the correct one. Talk about frustration! Then, I botched 2 stickers and with the third one I was apparently so eager to see if it was straight that I forgot a piece of backing paper on it. And I didn't even notice until I had already clear coated a couple of layers... Oh well, you can't really see it but I just hope that the graphic will stay in good shape despite it.

Otherwise I am really pleased with how it turned out! I found the LEDs in a local store and had no idea how they would look and if they would even fit the bezels. But I feel they fit this build perfectly. Somehow the light seems to be out of focus (maybe because I sanded the lense like I always do with waterclear LEDs) but it looks like they are 2 distant stars. Absolutely love them!

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0619.JPG

I just finished this an hour ago, I had the trim all the way up and it sounded too distorted. When I get home I'll try that spot.

Enclosure looks awesome! Here's mine...

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_214655660.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240305_214655660.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 7
Nice! I feel like in most of the build reports I have seen it’s around 12 o’clock or a bit higher.

Back