Crunch Captain Presence overwhelming

I've built the Crunch Captain (not deluxe) and it works fine. But the Presence control is unusable after about 10 o'clock on the pot (way too much for my taste). It's a B20k. Would a B10k give me a broader sweep? or maybe go to a A20k?

I would a larger value capacitor at C9. You could just alligator clip one in parallel to find a value you like. I would try putting a 10NF in parallel and if that goes too far try a 6.8, 4.7 ect until you find the value you like. Then install the closest cap value you have in that spot. Caps add in parallel so the 10NF and 22NF would be a 32 so put a 33NF, the closest standard value in that location. I'm guessing changing the pot would have some effect also but I'm not 100% sure.

I would a larger value capacitor at C9. You could just alligator clip one in parallel to find a value you like. I would try putting a 10NF in parallel and if that goes too far try a 6.8, 4.7 ect until you find the value you like. Then install the closest cap value you have in that spot. Caps add in parallel so the 10NF and 22NF would be a 32 so put a 33NF, the closest standard value in that location. I'm guessing changing the pot would have some effect also but I'm not 100% sure.
ok, thanks. I'll give that a shot.

C9 didn't have an affect on Presence at all. I went all the way up to 330nf. All it affected was volume. I ended up adjusting C8 to 100nf. This brought both Presence and Tone sweeps exactly where I wanted them. Well balanced for both single coils (American Strat with CS69 pickups) and humbuckers (Music Man Axis). I tried it on 3 amps and it sounded great on all of them (Fender Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Silver Jubilee and Matchless Lightning).

That's interesting. I thought C8 would interact more on the tone control and C9 on the presence. I wasn't 100% sure how the voltage divider for presence worked with C9 there. I looked at a few schematics but couldn't see a lot of continuity on how the presence controls were arranged. I guess I have some more studying to do. That's awesome you got it working how you like.

That's interesting. I thought C8 would interact more on the tone control and C9 on the presence. I wasn't 100% sure how the voltage divider for presence worked with C9 there. I looked at a few schematics but couldn't see a lot of continuity on how the presence controls were arranged. I guess I have some more studying to do. That's awesome you got it working how you like.
I thought the same about C8. I tried it just for the heck of it, fully expecting it to just affect the tone. happy accident I guess

Back