Kewpie Fuzz

pingpongcomputer

Smooth build, nice layout, easy to fit everything. C8 and C13 said NP next to them which I interpreted as "NonPolarized" so I used tantalums because that's what I had in the appropriate value. I socketed the transistors and tried SE4001's and SE4010's from my local "can't believe it's still in business" electronics shop but couldn't hear a difference between those and plain old 2N5088s, if anything I thought the generic TO-92 transistors might have sounded slightly better.

I like this muff, pretty much always have the doping turned on, not sure what it does but I like it, sounds smoother. My amp has tons of bass, so I mostly keep ura off and rarely use the 1979 toggle. The Kewpie has lower background noise than my Muffinator build, probably due to the off board wiring(tone stack and bypass toggle) on that one. I have a Glyph fuzz board which I'll build in the next month or so and I'd like to do a Civil War build. When those are done then I'll do a muff-a-like shootout.

I did abstract 60's psychedelic Kewpie art in Stable Diffusion and am very pleased with the build visually. Tayda uv print on a cream 125B. It's my first time buying knobs from Tayda, the giant mint green knobs are way bigger and cooler looking than I thought they'd be.

Overall, if you're not sure you want another muff, this probably won't be radically different, but the Kewpie is fairly versatile and sounds nice.

1000001428.jpg

1000001417.jpg

Hmm i totally missed the NP thing on the caps. Didnt feel like my switches were doing as much as i expected other than the URA wonder if that is part of it…

Build looks great

Hmm i totally missed the NP thing on the caps. Didnt feel like my switches were doing as much as i expected other than the URA wonder if that is part of it…

Build looks great
I wouldn't say the doping or 1979 switches are super dramatic changes on my build, but it is noticable. My ura switch adds to much bass that it chokes out the fuzz unless I switch 1979 on. All the switches seem to have different effects relative to other control changes.

Back