Mute 1 output of buffer/splitter?

FamousAmos

I'm starting a buffer/splitter build and was wondering how to go about incorporating a foot switch that mutes only one of the two outputs.

It will essentially be an always on pedal, so the footswitch will only be dedicated to muting one of the outputs....can someone point me in the right direction of how I might go about wiring this up?

Schematic?

Is it a transistor-based Split'n'Blend kind of dealio, or is it a ROG op-amp based circuit or ... ?

Pick one of the paths after the split and use a footswitch to interrupt the signal by sending it to ground.

Okay, very well then.

Monsieur Orman tells you precisely what to do:

One more option would be to add a mute switch to any output that you need to be able to silence. As an example, if you want to be able to turn off Out3, you could connect an SPST in parallel with the R9 resistor. When open, the output performs as normal. When the switch is closed, output 3 is pulled to ground and no signal passes. Similar switches could be added across the Out1 and Out2 pull-down resistors if desired.

I've added his SPST to his schematic here:
AMZ split1 with mods.gif

More than likely, you'll want some indicator-LED of bypass, for which you'll need a DPDT footswitch (or 3PDT and waste/ignore a pole).
Pole 1 gets the R9 Bypass, Pole 2 gets the LED treatment as per a multitude of BYPASS diagrams that can be found online.

Without illustrating the entire layout, here's how I'd do it:

AMZ J-FET SPLITTER BYPASS.png

A toggle DPDT on/on with the UP-bat position "on" (or position 1 of a DPDT-stomper), signal goes through R9 and the LED lights up;
the down position of the toggle (or footswitch stomped to position 2), R9 is bypassed and signal dumps to ground, ie that channel of the AMZ JFET-SPLITTER is off and so is the LED.

Back