Question re: 3PDT Breakout Board with Buffer Switch

mkstewartesq

So, for various reasons (some probably not particularly well-thought-through), I purchased a 3PDT Breakout Board with Buffer Switch to add a switch to my General Tso to disable the buffered bypass when desired. But since the Tso is the only buffered bypass pedal I've ever built, I have two questions about wiring the new board to make the change.

1. The original wiring for the General Tso has a "Mute" wire running from the board to the 3PDT, but there's no corresponding pad for a "Mute" wire on the new 3PDT Breakout Board with Buffer Switch. Do I just remove/omit the "Mute" wire entirely when updating the 3PDT using this board?

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 11.50.36 AM.png Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 11.50.59 AM.png

2. The new board has ground pads for both the input and output jacks. Given that, on my build, the jacks are already grounded to the board and the the 3PDT will already have a ground via the usual ground pad between the "in and "SW" pads, do I need to use these two extra grounding pads?

Thanks,
Mike

1) You can omit the mute connection, others have done this without any issues. If you really wanted to you could just run a jumper wire from the Mute pad down to the bottom center pad of the 3PDT over the top of the breakout board. (exactly like the yellow wire in the diagram above)

2) As long as the GND pad (in the IN/GND/SW/OUT/BP cluster) of the breakout board is connected to the main PCB the other two are just for convenience in wiring.

1) You can omit the mute connection, others have done this without any issues. If you really wanted to you could just run a jumper wire from the Mute pad down to the bottom center pad of the 3PDT over the top of the breakout board. (exactly like the yellow wire in the diagram above)

2) As long as the GND pad (in the IN/GND/SW/OUT/BP cluster) of the breakout board is connected to the main PCB the other two are just for convenience in wiring.
Thanks, so much, Robert! Since I already have a mute wire running from the board to the bottom center lug on the existing 3PDT, I might as well retain it and run it to the same lug again once I install the new breakout board, just to be safe.

(I was such a newb when I built the Tso that I didn't use a breakout board and instead manually wired the 3PDT per the diagram since I didn't recognize the wiring scheme - so at least I don't need to desolder an existing breakout board to make this change. I was also such a newb that I had no idea I could have just used any one of the five buffered breakout boards I bought by mistake on a prior order. :ROFLMAO:)

Mike

Back