Mach 1: "Swift Overdrive"

rwl

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
This is a build of the Mach 1 Overdrive, based on the Greer Lightspeed Overdrive. This is a pretty transparent overdrive and the board is simple.

Since the theme of both pedals is speed, I decided that a good namesake bird would be the Swift (specifically a Common Swift), which is literally a bird named for its speed. The Swift is remarkable: it's the fastest bird in level flight, flying up to 70 miles per hour. And it can fly for 10 months at a time. It's adapted to have very short legs that it only uses to cling to ledges.

It isn't my favorite design on the front. I realized I had 9 UV prints ordered on Tayda and a 10th would drop the price of the UV prints and gloss as part of a batch discount, so I designed this one in an hour or two to round out the order. That said, it's not bad. It's printed on a sky blue background.

The build was relatively simple, and when I tested it with dials around 12 o'clock prior to boxing, I was satisfied - it was a nice clear volume boost. But once I had it in the enclosure and started playing around with the settings, I found that there was almost no gain with the drive knob all the way up. There was a faint amount of crunch but it almost sounded hollow or echoey, nothing like any of the demos. I was lucky in two ways. I found a few threads on the forum indicated problems with the OPA2134 chip... and for the past 10 pedals or so, I've socketed all my ICs (after I found out sockets were cheap and easier than soldering the ICs themselves). I auditioned a TL072 and a JRC4558D and found I liked the 4558 best. As I was swapping the chips I tried the OPA2134 again and it seemed to work ok this time - it must have been seated poorly. Even so, I returned to the sound of the 4558.

With all that said, I can't help feeling there's something wrong with the build or I'm not using it right. Unity on the volume control is about 1 o'clock, and without a loud pedal running into it, the drive is still modest, and there's a moderate hiss with the drive knob all the way up.

I've got a few questions for folks, if you're reading this:
1. Any suggestions for how to use this pedal? With knobs at noon it's a nice transparent sound, but I don't find it very versatile overall. Or maybe I messed up something obvious?
2. Are there any cheap, easy-to-use sockets for transistors? I'm realizing I should probably socket more to be able to play around with the builds that don't impress me (since I don't currently do much breadboarding). 8-pin dip sockets on Tayda are 3 cents, meanwhile transistor sockets are $1.75. I've seen recommendations to cut up the strips of male-female adapters, which are cheap, but that's a lot of work and I always seem to cut the plastic wrong and leave the pin partly or fully exposed.

Attachments

• swift_front.png
    swift_front.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • swift_guts.png
    swift_guts.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
An update here: I was reading some other threads and the Mach One kept coming up as a favorite. I tag all my builds in a spreadsheet, including ones that I consider to be "duds" and I couldn't get out of my head that this pedal sounded pretty different from the demos I'd heard. And I don't like having bad pedals sitting around, especially if I'd gone to the trouble of making artwork, so I figured I'd open this up and take a look.

Well, I should have looked more closely earlier on. I'd mistakenly used two 2.2 uF electrolytic capacitors, instead of 22 uF! Thankfully, these were easy to replace and out of the way of pots. Sounds like a totally different pedal now and I can get the kind of overdrive tones I was hearing on the Greer version. And it's still bright to my ears but not nearly as trebly as before. I'm amazed at how forgiving electronics is (in the sense that the pedal "worked" before and nothing was demaged) and also how much of a difference some component changes can make.

For an overdrive it's pretty quiet, which I appreciate. I'll have to play with it more and I'm not sure it'd kick other pedals off the board, but I can understand the appeal now. I might have to try the mods @hamerfan pointed to from Chuck's thread.

2. Are there any cheap, easy-to-use sockets for transistors? I'm realizing I should probably socket more to be able to play around with the builds that don't impress me (since I don't currently do much breadboarding). 8-pin dip sockets on Tayda are 3 cents, meanwhile transistor sockets are $1.75. I've seen recommendations to cut up the strips of male-female adapters, which are cheap, but that's a lot of work and I always seem to cut the plastic wrong and leave the pin partly or fully exposed.

Here's a link to some other links regarding use of SIP sockets and how I approach cutting them cleanly with less wastage and few exposed pins.

Rows of 40 pins can be had at Tayda for 39¢, cut off what you need — they work fine for transistor experimentation and will even do for ICs in a pinch.

@Feral Feline - yep, shortly after posting this and seeing bronomo's response I started socketing most transistors and diodes, whenever they seem to be components people mod.

I just use flush cutters with the 40-pack from Tayda, and about half the time part of a socket is exposed at the cut, but it's not a big deal. I also picked up a pack of loose sockets thinking they'd be better, but don't like them as much - more fiddly and they're a bit too exposed.

Back