Rats

Mike52

I've been lurking on this site for quite a while so by way of an introduction, here's a couple of RAT pedals that I built during the Virus That Must Not Be Named party. They started life as GGG boards. General Guitar Gadgets makes good PCBs (they are tough and spacious) though I like the symmetry of PedalPCB boards best. I've never played through a real RAT pedal before so had no idea what to expect. But I still thought I'd play around with these two just for fun. I got LM308s from Jameco and I'm just going to assume that they are the authentic deal. I wouldn't know it if they weren't though.

guts.jpg

The one on the right is a can style IC, green chicklets and tantalums in the signal path and has the LED up by the controls. I did a lot of research on this pedal before building it and so tried to anticipate all the components that could be swapped out and modded, and in those locations I put sockets in. If you look closely you can see them pretty much everywhere.

These two sites were a big help.

Both are 1590b boxes and the only unique thing to say about them was that I managed to get the input jacks on the top (which is preferable on a pedal board). Unfortunately I just couldn't squeeze the power jack between them no matter how much I tried. I like the low profile of these small boxes but I think the taller 125b's are just easier to work with.

Surprisingly, both of these fired right up. I have to say, I love those switch PCBs because that's one area where I screw up them most. They are pretty perfect for an idiot like myself since they take a lot of the thinking out of the equation.

pan.jpg pete.jpg

The art is just waterslide decals. You can see the screw up on the left (water was a bit too hot and it chipped away while I was moving it around). The corner radius on the right pedal is not correct, but close enough for a hobbyist. My method is to print the decals reversed onto the waterslide paper and cut them to size and then shoot with a couple coats of lacquer. This will also seal the edges so water can't get in under the lacquer later. I also put some distilled vinegar in the water to help the decals flatten out a bit. When I place them upside down the ink is sealed in. Then I shoot the whole thing with several coats of lacquer and in the case of the pedal on the left, I wet sanded flush. The pedal on the right is one large decal, the one on the left is two decals (controls and stomp switch art.).

The left hand pedal has all the can-style IC, CC resistors and chicklets in the signal path. It sounds smoother to my ears, it is slightly different. But that could just be confirmation bias.

This was the first pedal I built, a GGG SD-1. And I love this pedal. I used a free font to simulate the BOSS lettering, it's not perfect but, again, close enough to get the message across. This is six different waterslides that were then shot with at least 10 coats of clear and wet sanded and buffed to finish. Lot of work and probably not worth it, but it looks pretty cool.

sd1.jpg

I'm done with waterslides though since it limits the color of the pedals themselves. I desperately need to find a way to print or produce white lettering so if anyone has ideas, that would be much appreciated. Anyway, its a fun and frustrating hobby.

Last edited:
Great looking stuff!

Try a lumberg style power jack. You can squeeze it in there, I've seen it done with microns to spare.

I'm seriously disappointed in myself for not making a Peter Pettigrew rat, that's freaking brilliant.

Great looking stuff!

Try a lumberg style power jack. You can squeeze it in there, I've seen it done with microns to spare.

I'm seriously disappointed in myself for not making a Peter Pettigrew rat, that's freaking brilliant.
Aw, man I didn't know about those. Crap.

Yeah, the Pandimensional Being was from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I even have a DON"T PANIC icon on the heel of the pedal.
817890-d16d6e5bd4d3a03b2a3870baf5100941.jpg
The Harry Potter pedal has the correct RGB colors for Griffindore House (yes, there is a fan site that gives the RGB formulas for the houses, how's that for nerding out?). I think the pedal art is probably my favorite phase of building these. But I'm anxious to break out of the limitations that come with it.

Last edited:
Those are great looking. There are so many different mods you can do to a rat. As far as waterslide goes, i use white waterslide decals. Then you can use any color enclosure you want. Laser printers are a huge plus too.

Reactions: fig
They look great the missing waterslide bits look like a Rat's been chewing on them

Last edited:
Those are great looking. There are so many different mods you can do to a rat. As far as waterslide goes, i use white waterslide decals. Then you can use any color enclosure you want. Laser printers are a huge plus too.
So how would that work? Are you cutting around the individual letters so that you end up with an all white letter? That would seem like an impossible thing to do if you want to label the controls.

So how would that work? Are you cutting around the individual letters so that you end up with an all white letter? That would seem like an impossible thing to do if you want to label the controls.
That is tedious, but yes.

Back