“All in Good Fun” be damned

Diynot

Finished a few over the long weekend. Trying to work up the courage to commit graphics to pedal, but not there yet. So here we go:
Procrastinator with intelligent relay:
52603FA7-A0DF-4651-B754-778705C49EBE.jpeg 065AAF97-BF9A-4D85-A82B-E6CB6E07AAC7.jpeg
BBW:
B0DA584E-1A59-4CED-9B44-D45739005A7C.jpeg 9878C361-C99F-4AC2-9188-A41900781AE5.jpeg
Magnetron with oscillation switch:
40AC7FF2-372D-4103-8CF3-F6FB3B21369B.jpeg FF89B490-9098-4609-A7DD-1BD8D3B83DA9.jpeg
Mojito:
81A92DAF-868A-491D-BA84-1B1DB254C655.jpeg E03A28D0-2635-4AC1-AB04-40AEA17A1E03.jpeg
VFE Mobius Strip delay:
7A0190EE-1EE4-45CF-9053-B2DAF63D1599.jpeg BE421206-D328-4FFE-9371-044903FA70FE.jpeg
By far the mobius was the most challenging, but damn does it sound good. Also love the BBW I had read through the years that it was a “secret sauce” pedal and I too am a believer. Also makes the procrastinator play nice. The Magnetron is super cool too especially with the oscillation mod. I have 2 more to post, but exceed the attachment limit, so more to come

Last edited:
The rest of the bunch:
Chaos Machine:
ED8A1BD6-5E5B-469A-AB83-0F0353F0E6AB.jpeg A3CEDD64-D8F6-416E-9FEA-E10C7830C0A8.jpeg
Dung Beetle:
1B70607E-2E6A-40BB-AC72-907D5B102BB7.jpeg B829B9CD-ADAE-4664-8B78-8DD2B43C6E84.jpeg
Had a moment with the chaos machine. The LFO wasn’t running, but then remembered that since I didn’t install the expression pedal jacks, I needed to jumper the pads on the board. Thankfully no ticking with this like some have reported. The Dung Beetle is……growing on me. Not my favorite flavor of fuzz, but interesting

@giovanni the Mobius does for me what I thought the Sagan delay was going to (due to my misunderstanding of it’s function). The mobius basically allows you to stack two delays in one pedal so you can dial in some very interesting repeats. So far it’s my favorite delay build this far.
@Harry Klippton don’t be scared man. Just gird up your loins and make sure you have a pretty fine tip on your iron. In all honesty, the tip I was using was a little janky, but the pedal fired up first try so meh. Also be sure to read the instructions in the switching board docs since the project determines how you populate the switching board (which zener, add/subtract components, etc). If I can do it blah, blah, blah

Those are all looking really nice! The Mobius is one I’m particularly exited to build myself— it’s such a unique and brilliant sounding delay. Did you wind up springing for the TLE2074, or just using a good old TL074 instead?

Thanks gang for the support! @Bricksnbeatles i did spring for the TLE2074 from Mouser, but at almost $7 a pop only opted to get 1 spare instead of my usual 4-5. I do have a tl074 around, I might try dropping it in to see if there is noticeable change, but for now, it sounds really good as is so it might be awhile

So the thing about graphics… are they loud? Do they sound good?

Yeah, then plug in and turn up!

Graphics are cool, and labeling controls is even cooler, but unless you’re trying to make money then just plug them in and make some noise.

There are some easier ways than waterslide to go. Printer paper and mod posher is as simple as I’ve seen and with a little care it can actually look very good.

A label maker is a good way to label controls until you figure it out.

So the thing about graphics… are they loud? Do they sound good?

Yeah, then plug in and turn up!

Graphics are cool, and labeling controls is even cooler, but unless you’re trying to make money then just plug them in and make some noise.

There are some easier ways than waterslide to go. Printer paper and mod posher is as simple as I’ve seen and with a little care it can actually look very good.

A label maker is a good way to label controls until you figure it out.
Yeah I’m with you. I am really in this for the tones and my builds are for personal use. I may sell ones that I don’t care for, but I am certainly not in it for the money🤣. I have totally done the dymo labels on a few. I am of the mindset that sometimes it’s ok not to know exactly what a knob does, forces you to tweak more.

Reactions: fig
Thanks gang for the support! @Bricksnbeatles i did spring for the TLE2074 from Mouser, but at almost $7 a pop only opted to get 1 spare instead of my usual 4-5. I do have a tl074 around, I might try dropping it in to see if there is noticeable change, but for now, it sounds really good as is so it might be awhile
Yeah, those are quite pricy. Which version of the TLE2074 did you go with?

There’s the suffixes ACNE4, AINE4, IN, CN, ACN, and AIN in stock at mouser. The N part of the suffix of course means plastic DIP package, and I found that the I/C designation refers to the operating temperature range (C= commercial, range of 0-70°C; I= industrial, range of -40-85°C), but after 45 minutes of looking through the 94-page datasheets, I can’t seem to find any indication of what the A suffix or E4 suffix means, nor do any of the package specs listed differ between them. Initially I thought one of them to designate between RoHS and non-RoHS, but it seems all of them are lead-free RoHS.

Last edited:
Thanks Fig! Looking at these pictures again I realize that I may be emerging from my “black period” diverging from all black aesthetics, to apparently, my grade school “primary color period”.

5wcffx.jpg

Feeling triggered? I also have an “outie” Jack on the dung beetle. Be thankful that those dailywell foot switches don’t come with a nylon washer, I might have put one on just to really fly the middle finger to the “all in good fun” thread🤣

Back