18 volt club

Alan W

Because of the 9 volt batteries that were once so necessary to run effects, the industry has been almost completely stuck on 9 volt supplies. There are obvious exceptions, but it’s the overwhelming standard. Yet, for pedals that are NOT trying to distort the signal, you typically get increased headroom, and possibly lower s/n ratios with the greater voltage swing. Some pedals opt for charge pumps to bump the voltage up internally. But for those that don’t, what pedals can run on 18 volts? (Obviously the parts must be rated to take it.)

I’ve been happily running the Comprehensive Drive, the Mercurial Boost, the Chop Shop, and the Spectral Deluxe at 18 volts. To my taste, all are improved. Since I tend to prefer 6K8 led resistors, (for 9volt supplies), I plan on bumping up those to something 10K+ when I unbox them to finally paint and dress the enclosures.

I‘m about to try the Pendulum at 18 v also, after upping the LDR LED drop downs—I think this will not destroy anything, and my main issue with the Pendulum is some upper freq. glare when it’s fed a more robust signal. Next will be General Tso, again after upping the drop down resistors for the LDR LEDs. I’ll post results as this gets done.

What pedals have you tried running at 18 volts? Any mods you needed to do to allow for this? What were the perceived changes? What do you finally decide on?

Gotcha! One for me: the Buffalo FX TDX @ 18v is a game changer!! No additional changes were made to the PedalPCB circuit. Have an awesome day!

Back