5th Openhaus Attempt

djmiyta

This time I used Madbeans layout. Its the furthest I’ve gotten on this monster. I am now signal tracing it and get signal up to and out the gain pot.

I had a couple small bridges to fix and found that R7 is either 150 ohm or a 10M neither is correct should be 100k which I have not fixed yet as I caught it just now.

Also I originally plugged in 9 volts instead of 18 volts noticed the regulator got real hot real fast ( which to me was odd) and once 18 v was plugged in no more heat but I’m wondering if I possibly fried a tranny but I’m getting 15.6 volts everywhere I should be and I would’nt think that would damage anything but I know jack shit so I’m hoping any one of you way smarter people can see something I’m not . I’ve NEVER had a more pain in the ass build and now it’s become personal one way or another I will build me a working Openhaus.
I subbed a J201 in for the 2n5457 cause I was lazy and did’nt want to hunt for one ( seeing that they seem interchangeable in a lot of pedals

I’m hoping the pics are clear enough .Has anyone else here successfully built one?

And lastly I know the board is a bit rough but Ive etched hundreds of boards the same way for years and have NO problems with the boards unless I physically leave a trace out or something which I can normally repair in someway I say that only cause I ve seen the incredible work done by a lot of people here and figure we could wait on opinions of how the board looks UNLESS you spot something that would make this not work then Im all ears

This has been an awesome forum and I love coming here and reading about the problems and solutions so thanks to any and everybody who takes their own time to read this and check it out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 32
Cool well for anyone remotely interested I made progress looking over the schematic where I lost signal or the signal would not pass through to where I "assume " it will be. I noticed the 2N5457 datasheet shows with tranny laying flat side up pins toward my body the leads are from left to right Source Gate Drain okay the schematic shows r30 and c22 going to the schematic symbol of the Gate of the JFET but the layout looks to me that it has the Gate being the furthest left pin Q6 would be Gate then the layout has it the Gate going to c20 , c21 & r28 schematic shows q6 Gate going to r30 & c22 Source tied to r29 and Drain tied to c20 21 & r28
So I dug out a 2n5457 twisted the legs to match the layout and now it passes the signal just not all the way to the out put yet. But progress is progress even in baby steps

Edit : A second quick look at the lnds (q2 & q5) looks like they need to be flipped opposite of the layout diagram

Attachments

• Openhaus-1.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 7
I looked at this one recently while considering doing it as a regular project. I think there are a couple of errors. I'll check later today and get back to you.

Bean , do you happen to know if the schematic is correct?

I think the schematic is mostly correct EXCEPT Q6 on the schem (not my drawing) is shown as NPN and it is actually a JFET. And, it looks like my layout was erroneously done for NPN. So, what you need to do is:

Using a 2n5457, flip the orientation as shown at Q6 on the PCB (so the transistor is facing toward the bottom instead of the top).
Swap the middle and right pins. So, the middle pin goes to R29 and the right pin goes to R30.

After you do that, audio probe the base of Q4 to see if you are getting signal there. You should maybe also compare the pin outs of Q4 and Q3 compared to what's on the PCB.

So yes exactly what I was thinking you confirmed it. So Q6 needs the Gate and Source swapped and the LND150 need to be flipped opposite what the layout shows and I get signal all the way to IC4 pin 3. Furthest I've gotten on this I'm gonna assume no signal on the out jack is gonna be something on my end .
Thanks Bean for the help AND ALL the layouts you've done very very appreciated. Fingers crossed I can spot my error quickly and put this monster to use.

Really thought I had this. In the uploaded pic the green is where I get signal and the yellow is where I don't. I reflowed the solder in that area with no luck and been trying to check the layout to the schematic but I don't see anything else wrong. Could anybody steer me in some direction to check next? or their thoughts on possible scenarios to check I'm ssoooo close

Attachments

• SIGNAL TRACED OPENHAUS MADBEAN Orifice_ver1_1.pdf
    636.8 KB · Views: 4
Bean , I'm hoping you are still around , and if you could take a look at this supposed verified layout. I ask only cause I only build them and know nothing about laying out and by looking seems exactly like yours except a couple discrepancies because aside from what we both found on your layout I can't find anything else wrong
Maybe I have a bad IC4? I'll try a tl072 there (I have no more 2604's and read the TL072 would help brighten the pedal up)
I just can't get the signal to come out the last output on IC4 to the output jack
SSOoooooo damn close

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 002- openhaus layout A3.pdf
    243.2 KB · Views: 0
just an update I tried 2n2369a trannies in this and all I get is mild overdrive with some sensitivity to how hard the strings are hit the mid acts like its wired backwards and I don't hear any change turning the treble pot. Looking to get some 2n1306's and hoping it'll spring to life the 2369's sound real nice in the Lighthaus circuit not crazy gain but pretty nice crunch nothing like when they're in the openhaus circuit.
open to any ideas or suggestions.........

Back