18v 3-in1 Pedal

DeadAirMD

I'm building a 3-in-1 pedal with the Muroidea, General TSO, and Closed Circuit pcbs. I'm planning on using the charge pump pcbs to make all of these effects 18v.

My question is, do I need to change the values of the components I'm using to make this all work? Do all of my caps need to be 25v or higher? If I'm running these all off of one DC jack, do all of the voltages add up for the caps values? I also want to have a foot switch for each effect, do I need 3 charge pump pcbs, or can I use one and connect it to the two other 3pdt switch pcbs? Do you have any other suggestions on how to make this work the best?

Thank you for any information you provide and have a wonderful day.

I’d definitely have caps rated to 50v to be on the safe side. From a current draw perspective they shouldn’t be an issue. The main problem with charge pumps is the risk of them introducing noise. I would advise that you build up the circuits with 50v electros then test the circuits individually at 18v using a breadboard then all together to see if any noise is apparent.

You might find when you test them that you might actually prefer the rat at 9v.

That's great advice, I'm assuming that even though the PedalPCB charge pump pcbs have the ability to switch between 9v/18v, that the potential added noise will be there regardless of which voltage is running.

Do I need a charge pump pcb for each switch, or can I use one switch and run power from that to the other two 3pdt PCB switches?

I’m pretty sure you will also need to adjust the “vactrol“ LED resistors on the Tso so that the LEDs are responding correctly. When I rebox my Tso I plan on doing this.

Get a solid sense of what the current draw, at 18v, each of the pedals has, add it up, and look at the specs for the charge pump you’re using. You may be able to run them all on one.

Thank you very much for your response and advice. I didn't consider the vactrol resistors so that is very much appreciated.

I'm building a 3-in-1 pedal with the Muroidea, General TSO, and Closed Circuit pcbs. I'm planning on using the charge pump pcbs to make all of these effects 18v.

My question is, do I need to change the values of the components I'm using to make this all work? Do all of my caps need to be 25v or higher? If I'm running these all off of one DC jack, do all of the voltages add up for the caps values? I also want to have a foot switch for each effect, do I need 3 charge pump pcbs, or can I use one and connect it to the two other 3pdt switch pcbs? Do you have any other suggestions on how to make this work the best?

Thank you for any information you provide and have a wonderful day.
1) To what specific components are you referring? (With components that have a voltage rating, I'd say yes - at 1.5x (some would say 2x) times the voltage supply lines.
2) If the voltages seen by those e-Caps are 18v, then yes, go with at least 25v caps.
3) The voltages do NOT add up (accumulate). Each circuit will run its own chargepump (I assume running off a 9v input supply) and is independent of the other circuits in the combo.
4) The bypass footswitches should have no bearing on the power supplies. They just engage or bypass the audio signal and turn an indicator LED on/off where applicable. If each PCB/circuit calls for a chargepump, then use all three - one for each. The 9v input supply can simply be distributed to each circuit in parallel. The 9v inut supply just needs to have adequate current available to run all three circuits. Doubtful one chargepump will provide enough current for all three circuits. A quick look at the chargepump datasheets will show you what a specific chargepump can deliver current-wise.

Wow, thank you a TON for all that info. I'm going to start working on that this weekend. Going to also do a 2-in-1 with the Marigold and a Modus Operandi, after building the Marigold last weekend. Wasn't a fuzz guy until that circuit. Now I'm in love

Also check this out, you might want to order one at least, if not a few:

DC-Splitter.jpg

Back