1981 DRV (Informant)

Awesome, thanks Chuck! And yes I'm aware about the non linear freq response of guitar and bass amps versus hifi or PA. Really sounds terrible plugging electric gat into straight flat freq.
Will check these recommendations out and have a play with tone stack calculator.
Cheers!

first I'm seeing this post. Sounds like really great mods for this pedal. I built the standard PCB and don't really understand the technical aspects of these mods or how to do them but they sound extremely useful in expanding this circuit. It's a great sounding RAT to begin with, the tone sculpting is lacking. I use a Steel String Singer to give it a little more heft, still planning some easier mods picked up on this forum on mine

I built the standard PCB and don't really understand the technical aspects of these mods or how to do them but they sound extremely useful in expanding this circuit.

Here’s a couple pics on the voice knob mod. It turned out to be what I preferred for this circuit, and it happens to be the simplest mod. For lighter overdrive pedals I often prefer a bass knob.

With the voice knob at max, it’s the original DRV sound.

I used1kC, but you could use 1kB, 2k, 5k, 10k depending what range you want.

Attachments

• 076CE94C-5E7D-4E19-89D7-F8F460B573F6.jpeg
    076CE94C-5E7D-4E19-89D7-F8F460B573F6.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 7CD0540E-07EA-40F0-BDFB-1683B9972172.jpeg
    7CD0540E-07EA-40F0-BDFB-1683B9972172.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 39
Coming back to the suggested mods on TC preamp and SoftII, thanks so much Chuck!
I did the suggested change on TC Spark / Ember boost to remove C 19 completly and reduced C 10 to 100pF and that made a yuuuge difference, I dig it now, sounds alot more lovely and the different switch positions sound a lot more like I was expecting from demos I've seen on youtube. The range of tonestack is now great to cover all the ground I find needed (I didn't change anything in tone stack itself). Great stuff, will have to put it now on my main board and rig and see how I gel in with it, however I think first impression is sweeeet.

The softII I did jumper R21 and that's also great as I can get now eough treble in the lower gainish / mid gain area that I'm after, so that's a good change for my taste too. I noticed though that on higher gain setting and with higher bass settings it starts to fart out and gate even a bit, which I don't mind that much as this high gain high bass content doom thing isn't quite my thing (I'm getting old...), I'm more like lower / mid gain bluesrock and rock sounds. Does that fine now, however I wonder what's the best way to lower the overall gain in the pedal without loosing the sound, as I find anyway more than enough gain already in lower switch position.
Soooo... if I could lower the gain than I might get more useable range overall and also get to use the switch for an higher (but not full doom sorta) gain)?
Any suggestions?
Many thanks for the great advice on circuit bending, you're the man, Chuck!

Cooder, how about we start a new thread in the Mods forum for the SOFTii? Seems like we totally hijacked the Informant build report here. I have some ideas for you to try.

Cooder, how about we start a new thread in the Mods forum for the SOFTii? Seems like we totally hijacked the Informant build report here. I have some ideas for you to try.
That sounds like a great idea and I'm looking forward to your suggestions! As said, the Spark booster has come to life for me, now let's get the SoftII customized. Cheers!

Here’s a couple pics on the voice knob mod. It turned out to be what I preferred for this circuit, and it happens to be the simplest mod. For lighter overdrive pedals I often prefer a bass knob.

With the voice knob at max, it’s the original DRV sound.

I used1kC, but you could use 1kB, 2k, 5k, 10k depending what range you want.

Thanks so much. Easy.

Here’s what I describe in my first post. I since changed to the Voice control, but I don’t know which is better, bass control is probably more intuitive.

You can experiment with the cap value to get a deeper or less deep bass.

Attachments

• 539CDCF1-87B5-4E11-9AF5-44078CC7EAED.jpeg
    539CDCF1-87B5-4E11-9AF5-44078CC7EAED.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 8
Here’s what I describe in my first post. I since changed to the Voice control, but I don’t know which is better, bass control is probably more intuitive.

You can experiment with the cap value to get a deeper or less deep bass.
Thanks!!I`ll might try it!

Back