2x BuZZaround (DAM&Dunwich)

Fuzzonaut

The Buzzaround, a circuit that I love! I've had a tagboard mojo version (that someone else built) at my feet for ages ... and when I got into building, made the Fuzzdog version, but that one has been mostly sitting on the shelf.

Now, I'm circling back to those gnarly, unruly sounds. First up, a D*A*M version, called the Buzzotron, on vero (dirtbox layouts).
I used metal film resistors and put the whole charge pump story on the footswitch board.
As for capacitors: 2 Silver Micas, 2 big ol' mojo caps and 3x tantalum.
Then add a chunky Mullard OA81 with a forward oltage of 0,791mV (!) as the GE diode to that.
And the transistors are all GT2307, Q1+2 both hfe 65, Q3 hfE 83.

Well, it totally smokes the fuzzdog version I've built and sounds huge, agressive, unruly and in yer face, it's amazing.
Oh and Buzzotron .... the graphics were kinda obvious.

buzzo.jpeg
buzzo-g.jpeg

N.E.W. Buzzaround (Design Dunwich, PCB Godcity), which is "inspired by", aka as modified. It is NPN, has a muff style tonestack added and a Volume knob. The PCB itself is layed out for bigger "mojo" components. I put in a mix of carbon comp and 2W resistors and some fancy capacitors.
Transistors are: 3x 2N2219 und 1x MP38 (Q3).
It sounds nice, maybe too nice ... I mean the tone stack is cool, you can dial back the rudeness, but frankly, who wants that? The Buzzaround attitude or signature sound is kinda lost.
Again, it sounds very good, but my favourite setting with this one is everything dimed but the Volume. Could have been a one knob fuzz ....
P1070968.jpeg
P1070970.jpeg

Next up is @peccary Dizzy Elk. I will try to record a short shoot out with that one and these two.

Last edited:
Back