3PDT Breakout Board (for Buffered effects) with non-buffered effect

fornio

Okay, so I accidentally ordered the wrong breakout board. None of my effects are buffered. Can I use the 3PDT breakout board for buffered effects with non-buffered effects?

I decided to start some investigating with my multimeter, and from what I can tell, I should be able to do one of two things:

1. Put a jumper between the BP connection and the output tip
2. Put a jumper between the two legs of the actual switch

I think that would work based on how the connections appear to work.

If you jumper the BP and output tip, it will have no effect. When the footswitch is in bypass it connects these points to give you an output. BP should be connected to the bottom right lug of the 3PDT(Red circles in picture A), check with multimeter to make sure. If so then you can put a jumper between input and bypass or put a jumper between the bottom left lug and bottom right lug of the 3PDT switch(Yellow lines picture B). Solder the jumper after you have put the board on the 3PDT switch,

Attachments

• 3PDT-BufferedA.jpg
    3PDT-BufferedA.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 4
  • 3PDT-BufferedB.jpg
    3PDT-BufferedB.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 4
Yes - you're completely right. Not entirely sure how I missed that one.

If you jumper the BP and output tip, it will have no effect. When the footswitch is in bypass it connects these points to give you an output. BP should be connected to the bottom right lug of the 3PDT(Red circles in picture A), check with multimeter to make sure. If so then you can put a jumper between input and bypass or put a jumper between the bottom left lug and bottom right lug of the 3PDT switch(Yellow lines picture B). Solder the jumper after you have put the board on the 3PDT switch,

The Input jack is always connected to the In pad on these, it isn't switched.

It would take several jumpers to use this in a true-bypass effect, you'd be better off just wiring up the effect without it...

You would need to:
Connect the input jack directly to the center lug of the left column of the switch
Connect a jumper from the In pad to the top lug of the left column of the switch
Add a jumper across the two bottom outer lugs of the switch (shown in yellow in the post above)
Wire up GND/SW/OUT and the output jack like normal, ignore the BP pad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - looks like these go in the parts bin until I find a buffered effect to build.

The Input jack is always connected to the In pad on these, it isn't switched.

It would take several jumpers to use this in a true-bypass effect, you'd be better off just wiring up the effect with it out...

You would need to:
Connect the input jack directly to the center lug of the left column of the switch
Connect a jumper from the In pad to the top lug of the left column of the switch
Add a jumper across the two bottom outer lugs of the switch (shown in yellow in the post above)
Wire up GND/SW/OUT and the output jack like normal, ignore the BP pad.

Back