#53 - Chaos Machine

airbud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This was a pretty easy build, with the only exception that I soldered the pots in three stages rather than trying to align all 27 pins to the PCB at once.

It sounds cool, but I do get a cyclical whooshing sound in the background while everything is maxed for each filter (intensity, resonance, mix). Once you dial back some of the knobs, the background noise diminishes. My minor frustration is that I can either get no noise and a subtle sound, or noise and more wackiness. I've not yet done a proper QA but did swap out a crappy Amazon JRC4558 for a nicer/real one, but to no avail.

I think I'm learning that a lot of these circuits don't really "work" once you start maxing our the knobs. Usually it's been an ultra mega gain circuit, but I can see how cranking the resonance would generate some background whoosh on top of even a little bit of noise.

I did sub 470n for C3 and C4, as per posts discussing this build for bass, so that may contribute.

Overall it's a cool pedal, wouldn't call it a must-build but I'm a sucker for the wacky EQD stuff. 1590XX's are so spacious too 😍😍😍

Attachments

• PXL_20240516_174655094.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240516_174655094.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 9
Back