9mm Pots

dpsnacks

I bought a bunch of 9mm pots like a bozo. (50 A100k, 20 B100k, 15 A1m and a smattering of others.) I assume all the connections and drill templates are gonna be slightly off as a result of the smaller size. Is there any good use for these or should I just reorder everything 16mm?

I bought a bunch of 9mm pots like a bozo. (50 A100k, 20 B100k, 15 A1m and a smattering of others.) I assume all the connections and drill templates are gonna be slightly off as a result of the smaller size. Is there any good use for these or should I just reorder everything 16mm?

These?:

If so, none of those will work. I don't recall any of the PedalPCB projects using those.

Furthermore, they just barely grip on the Tayda enclosures because of the thinner threaded area.

@dpsnacks
Those 9mm are INCREDIBLY USEFUL!

Ex:
Need to mod a pedal and add a presence control to take away some shrill high-end overtones, but have limited space between the Gain & Vol where another 16mm pot won’t fit — 9mm pot fits with Davies-style 1900 knobs on top.

Add a bass control-mod to the Nobles OD… — 9mm.

Want to add a pre-gain control to a fuzz — 9mm.

Need to flatten out a Muff’s scooped tone-stack — 9mm.

Run out of space on your pedalboard for a Klon/Rat/Muff/TS808/Muff/Guv’nor/chorus/verb/phaser/boost… etc, but could squeeze a 1590A build on the board — 9mm pots.

I once bought the wrong voltage-size caps and some incorrect jacks — I tried to give them to a friend/mentor who repairs amps — “when would I ever use these?” said I — “Keep them” he insisted.

He was right. They eventually proved useful, I needed them.

If you’re convinced you’ve no use for them, I’ll buy them from you. I’ve got some 1590A builds pending and can’t leave well enough alone and mod things I shouldn’t.

PS: take a countersink drillbit and shave 0.5mm to 1mm around the potholes to gain back some thread purchase.

Last edited:
I just bought a large assortment for my breadboard "Pot Holder"

ta95AZM.jpg

@dpsnacks
Those 9mm are INCREDIBLY USEFUL!

If you’re convinced you’ve no use for them, I’ll buy them from you. I’ve got some 1590A builds pending and can’t leave well enough alone and mod things I shouldn’t.
Well, here's the thing: I'm not convinced. I bought 10 PCBs and then bought 10 more PCBs, and then did a huge order of the parts that I think belong on all 20 PCBs (with no experience)... and I won't have space in my office to actually sort these parts out and build something for probably 3-4 months. I may have the wrong caps and other issues also, that I won't find out about for weeks LOL

If I could bother you with it I'd love to, I guess send photos of what I got? And if you could let me know if I got the right kinds of shit, that would be much appreciated. 90% of the PCBs came from here. I know some kinds of caps are better at some values and some uses than others... I think...

edit: Now that I think about it I may also like to commission a 1590a build from ya...

Some projects are built for 9mm, from a variety of project suppliers.

Couple examples:

cowgirl0-jpeg.4199832

Madbean 1590G Wigl board in a 1590B enclosure because top-jacks — 9mm pots.

filigree1-jpg.4183263

BYOC 1590A Rat build; 9mm pots with enough space left over to add two mod switches.

Those are just my last two builds with 9mm; some boosts and other things before that … Oh! And I had a 9mm dual-gang in my PPCB Shallow Water for a red hot minute before changing it out for a 16mm DG non-PCB mount I cobbled some legs onto. Should’ve stuck with the 9mm, whatever — I’m ordering the correct part for that one soon.

9mm, Ah lurves dem tings.

• Love
Reactions: fig
I know that Madbean uses 9mm in some projects. He also sells a little adapter to use wire to hook them up to the PCB (could also do it with Vero you have any). Check under Breadbuddies: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

I've noticed Brian uses them for some applications, but not all. I wonder if that's because of the 0.05W power rating on the linear taper ones.

Maybe that makes them under=speced for a volume knob? (I don't know.) But I noticed PedalPCB doesn't use them either, so I'm guessing that's the main reason.

Reactions: fig
Back