DEMO A Bunch of simple lo-fi no good fuzz boxes

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
In order -
  1. Transistor Muff Fuzz / Overdrive into Großmaul Power Amp Overdrive (Moonn Little Brother / Großmaul)
  2. Blue Clipper with Gain Switch (Stock, Open, Boosted) (Moonn Clippity Clop)
  3. Random Number Generator with Gate and Stability Switches (Moonn Dice)
  4. Green Ringer into Blue Clipper (GPCB Emerald Ring / Moonn Clippity Clop)
  5. 8-Bitar with Octave Kill Switch (Parasit 8-Bitar)
  6. Big Clang / Harmonic Percolator with Diode Switch (Mask Audio Electronics Big Clang)

PXL_20230518_193920297.jpg

orca-image-726158796.jpeg

Some quick demos of each -

I'm loving that last one, mate. Digging the aesthetic too
Yeah, the HP with those specs is pretty rad, I especially like the center position (no diodes)

You've been a busy bee.. or wait it was your other build report from today that sounds like a bee. It's all so confusing.

I needed a break from the wacky funk, and it's been a while since I did any straight up Fuzz boxes, so figured I'd drain my stash of em.

Gotta say, though, none of these do to me what the Desolate Fuzz does

No surprises there. Desolate rules!
The biggest advantages it has over these 12 or so Fuzzes I've built is that it doesn't care if there's a buffer in front of it (which is a huge deal for the way I route my board), and just how damned responsive it is to picking dynamics. I'm kinda wanting to build a 2-in-1, honestly

Random Number Generator =
caaa8270e01d163eae3435c16cd6abe7

In order -
  1. Transistor Muff Fuzz / Overdrive into Großmaul Power Amp Overdrive (Moonn Little Brother / Großmaul)
  2. Blue Clipper with Gain Switch (Stock, Open, Boosted) (Moonn Clippity Clop)
  3. Random Number Generator with Gate and Stability Switches (Moonn Dice)
  4. Green Ringer into Blue Clipper (GPCB Emerald Ring / Moonn Clippity Clop)
  5. 8-Bitar with Octave Kill Switch (Parasit 8-Bitar)
  6. Big Clang / Harmonic Percolator with Diode Switch (Mask Audio Electronics Big Clang)

View attachment 48900

View attachment 48899

Some quick demos of each -

With so many pedals, how do you know what's what? I've been etching the back plates with the name/"based upon" name, but it's still getting challenging not that I've got over 50 or so builds.

With so many pedals, how do you know what's what? I've been etching the back plates with the name/"based upon" name, but it's still getting challenging not that I've got over 50 or so builds.

Most of the stuff I build doesn't generally share control layouts, so once they're labelled that's how I typically how I tell them apart. But, when doing em in batches like this, I use a piece of masking tape -
orca-image-2057796517.jpeg

I always forget to build a blue clipper! Need one for my Dan Armstrong recreations. Sounds fantastic
I did perform a couple mods on them outside of the obvious ones- I rebiased them with a 220k / 270k voltage divider at the non-inverting input, and reduced the low pass capacitor from 33n to 3.3n.

The one paired with the green Ringer has also been tweaked to basically be a cranked turbo Rat

Any details on the Dice mods? That's one of the first Moonn boards I want to build, and the mods sound quite nice!

The gate mod is an SPDT wired between the negative leg of C2 and ground via a 47k resistor. The switch makes or breaks that connection

The Stability mod is a DPDT on/off/on. The middle legs are wired where R7 should go. One side of the switch has the stock 100k resistor, the other is 15k (I think that's what I settled on, anyway) - you can play with this value to get the amount of drone you'd like. Middle is no resistor

You could also just use a pot in place of the resistor, but there really wasn't much actual variation through the sweep in my experiments

Back