A couple of weak ass builds to close 2021

spi

This week I finished off the last of my PCB stash. In 2022, I plan to finish at least some of the stripboard builds I've been procrastinating on before I purchase any more PCBs.

Here we have the Duck Box and the Son of Ben.

I remember wanting a WR2 about 20 years ago, but never bought it because I wasn't sure I'd actually ever use it for anything. When seeing the PCB I figured I may as well finally try this thing out. My first impression, using a Strat with single coils, was pretty underwhelming--not much wah action on my signal. But then I boosted the input signal with a clean overdrive, and it comes alive (didn't work so well with a dirty overdrive though). It's pretty funky. I still don't think I have a use for it, but it's fun to give it a spin.

As for the Son of Ben, my first impression is that it sounds as good as expected based on its popularity. Is this just Yet Another MIAB? The trims are adjusted exactly as the doc says--I haven't yet tweaked it from those positions to see if there's any further improvement, not that it needs it.

IMG_20211231_123800748.jpg IMG_20211231_123818110.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, i like the lettering on the SOB 😉
That was attempted right after watching your tutorial--it's really hard to keep a fine line, but then I probably am using crappy brushes. I may still paint a design on it but can't figure out what a Son of Ben should look like.

This week I finished off the last of my PCB stash. In 2022, I plan to finish at least some of the stripboard builds I've been procrastinating on before I purchase any more PCBs.

Here we have the Duck Box and the Son of Ben.

I remember wanting a WR2 about 20 years ago, but never bought it because I wasn't sure I'd actually ever use it for anything. When seeing the PCB I figured I may as well finally try this thing out. My first impression, using a Strat with single coils, was pretty underwhelming--not much wah action on my signal. But then I boosted the input signal with a clean overdrive, and it comes alive (didn't work so well with a dirty overdrive though). It's pretty funky. I still don't think I have a use for it, but it's fun to give it a spin.

As for the Son on Ben, my first impression is that it sounds as good as expected based on its popularity. Is this just Yet Another MIAB? The trims are adjusted exactly as the doc says--I haven't yet tweaked it from those positions to see if there's any further improvement, not that it needs it.

View attachment 20602View attachment 20603
Wait, you finished the last of your PCB stash, you’re doing it wrong. 🤣 Those look great!

Back