adding a clipping mode switch to the kliche mini

maertz13

I've got a SPDT on/on switch, on the outer legs are pairs of diodes, the stock germanium and LED's. both sets of diodes are feeding off the negative end of the diode pad, and returning from the middle lug of the switch to the positive side on the diode pad. the other diode pads are jumpered, because i was getting buzzing when they were just open. i'm getting LESS gain when the gain knob is up, and nothing happens when i flip the switch. diodes are not lighting up.

what did i do wrong here?

...the other diode pads are jumpered, ...

what did i do wrong here?
Pics would help. As JC noted, the description is not clear.

Here's what I think is happening...

Remove the jumper.
You're just dumping signal to ground with a jumper. Like a toilet, flush... bye signal.

Choose either D1 or D2, whichever doesn't get chosen remains unpopulated. For the sake of argument, choose D1.

Find which pad of D1 is connected to ground. From it's opposite pad (connected to signal path) —
Run a wire from D1's signal-side to centre lug of SPDT,
Outer Lug of SPDT solder the stock diodes anti-parallel to each other, leave the other ends dangling for now.
Opposite outer lug of SPDT solder the LEDs anti-parallel,
take the LEDs' two ends (an anode and a cathode) and solder them to the dangling ends of the stock diodes,
solder a wire from the danglers back to D1 pad that is connected to ground.

Make sure you wrap exposed bits in shrink tube or electrical tape.

Done.

Last edited:
okay, so it turns out i had my leads switched around. it's clipping now. i have it set up exactly as you have described here, i just needed to swap the wires going to the diode pads.

ditched the jumper, and now the noise is back. like a bad ground kind of noise. that noise initially went away when i jumped the other diode pads.

you know, i think it might just be the electricity in my building again. there are dimmer switches all over the place and if someone has the right light on, everything is a buzzy mess here. pretty sure everything is working properly now. thanks dudes

Back