Adding Contact Mic to Electric Guitar - OK to share TRS jack?

bowanderror

So I want to add a separate piezo disk contact mic output to a Stratocaster, but am trying to avoid drilling holes.

I was thinking I could use a TRS jack for the guitar output jack, and send the magnetic pickups & contact mic signals separately on the Tip & Ring, sharing ground between them. The signal would leave on a TRS cable to a splitter box, where the magnetic & piezo signals would be split, with a preamp to massage the piezo impedance before it's output. Blue is the regular Strat pickup signal and Red is the piezo signal:

Piezo TRS Edit1.jpg

Ideally, I'd like to still be able to use the guitar normally when I plug in a standard TS instrument cable instead of a TRS one. But as the piezo signal would then be connected to sleeve/GND, I was wondering if dumping that pretty large piezo output to ground would cause any problems?

I haven't decided if I want to have separate magnetic and piezo outputs from the splitter box, or if I want to use a footswitch to toggle between them. If anyone has any suggestions, especially about preventing magnetic/piezo interference or potential ground loops, that would also be appreciated!

Back