Aft Preamp

Jimbo

Getting going on this pedal. Unclear why there are 4 through holes for an NPN germanium transistor. My understanding is that I am dealing with a CBE standard NPN. How/what gets wired to the 4th hole!?

Thanks In advance for any insights.

Torgoslayer, could you elaborate further on Base pads accommodating transistor packages? I too am building the Aft and was curious about Jimbo's question but haven't had any luck on google trying to catch up to what you are referring to.

The EQD bows, which this is based on, uses an OC 139 NPN Ge transistor. Very hard to come by and probably a bit pricy. Many will substitute a different NPN Ge transistor with similar gain characteristics of the OC 139. The OC 139 is a glass pack transistor with the leads in a straight line and CBE arrangement. Most Ge transistor we can get are TO-5 cans with the CBE configuration in a triangle shape. So the 4th hole above the middle B hole is for this type of transistor. The middle hole marked B and the 4th hole above it are shorted together so you can use either configuration with out bending the leads. Only 1 of the 2 holes will be used. Be sure to verify the pin out of the transistor you are using.

Back
Top Bottom