Aion Convex - Dinosaural OTC-201 Major Steggo Update!

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Almost exactly a year ago I posted my first Dinosaural OTC-201 build. Since that time, the pedal has literally lived on my board. It is one of my most used and useful pedals, and has in the intervening months completely taken over compressor duties on my board (in fact, I recently sold my MXR Script Dyna Comp as I simply wasn't using it). So, I decided it was high time I moved on from the borrowed graphics of the first version, and create a truly Steggo version of the pedal!

Aion Convex - Dino Comp - SN01 & 02 - 01.jpg

By and large the build went as before using the AionFX Convex board. Unfortunately I didn't have any BC307B transistors, so I had to use the suggested 2N3906 substitution (which are also running low in the parts bin). I did, however, use the original BC549C transistors (as I think I've cornered the market on those). The resistors are mostly Yageo 1% metal film, and this time around the film capacitors are all WIMA. As before I used the Xvive Vactrols from Cabintech.

Aion Convex - Dino Comp - SN01 & 02 - 03.jpg

The off board wiring follows the standard pattern I've used for all AionFX builds. Because this pedal has a buffered bypass option, it uses all six of the connections between the daughter board and the main PCB. I'm continuing to use ribbon cable for these as it is the easiest way to connect them, and it looks good.

Aion Convex - 02.jpg

The photo above is my original OTC-201 build from last year. I honestly liked how the design came out, but unfortunately not only did I use the original pedal name on my clone, but I borrowed Teeturtle graphics as well. It did say "Aion Convex" in the corner, but if it ever really left the house much it would likely raise eyebrows. So I needed art that was an homage to my original pedal, and a killer new dinosaur themed name worthy of Steggo himself! No pressure!

Aion Convex - Dino Comp - SN01 & 02 - 04.jpg

Fortunately my wife is an amazing artist, and worked up not only an awesome Stegosaurus, but some suitably apocalyptic incoming meteors as well. So that had the art covered, and since this pedal essentially chased my script Dyna Comp off of the pedal board, I figured only one name would work - the Dino Comp, of course! As this is a real boutique pedal, it's naturally a script Dino Comp as well!

In the sound test, it completely matches the original so this will likely end up taking the original build's place on my board and I'll likely use the original with my traveling bag I use for lessons, etc.

A tiny bit more at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2022/09/aion-convex-dinosaural-otc-201-major.html

The Tso's and the Boneyard edition delegate are both on my list to try out.
The Tso's is essentially the same circuit as the Convex but updated between Dan Coggins and Thorpy to add a treble control.

The PedalPCB version uses LDR's instead of a Vactrol although you could probably use one. I built both the Convex and Tso's at the same time and the Tso's just barely edges out the Convex but we're talking by a hair. Both great sounding opto compressors.

The Tso's is essentially the same circuit as the Convex but updated between Dan Coggins and Thorpy to add a treble control.

The PedalPCB version uses LDR's instead of a Vactrol although you could probably use one. I built both the Convex and Tso's at the same time and the Tso's just barely edges out the Convex but we're talking by a hair. Both great sounding opto compressors.
Isn't "LDR" the same thing as "Vactrol" -- e.g. photo resistor and a light source? I think Vactrol is just a brand name... is that not correct?

Isn't "LDR" the same thing as "Vactrol" -- e.g. photo resistor and a light source? I think Vactrol is just a brand name... is that not correct?
Vactrol has been genericized to refer to an LED/LDR couple:

The LDR is just a light dependent resistor and can be used in a variety of ways. For example, I had some garage lights that would turn on when it got dark because they had a "sensor" (really just an LDR when I took them apart)...

I didn't realize "Vactrol" was a brand. I meant self contained optocouplers/opti-isolator as opposed to a separate LDR + LED

Back