Aion Stratus (TS-808)

Thk

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
I found this forum a while back and I have a couple of Pedalpcb builds on the bench waiting for the correct enclosures so I decided to write a report on my first ever build. It's the Aion Stratus TS-808 clone. I made one mod, and that was to replace the double diode clipping option with an asymmetrical one (2 diodes one way and 1 the other way). The wiring is a mess since I didn't really have a clue what I was doing, but it did fire up on the first try!

I have been using it for a while in a band practice setting and am a bit torn on it. On one hand I really dig how the graphics came out and it is very useful to cut through in a band mix. However, it sounds quite congested and the mids are sometimes a bit too much, especially when playing through a Blues deluxe reissue, as I often do. On a Blues Jr or on the blackface setting of my THR10c it sounds better. And it does make the in-between positions on a strat much more usable. The bass and clipping toggles seem a bit gimmicky, the only one I dig is the symmetrical/asymmetrical clipping options.

I'm considering modding it to have a bit less mids and maybe adding a BAT41 diode in series with the single 1N914 diodes. It would also be nice to tweak the bass toggle to have a less drastic effect to maybe make it more useful.

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1366.JPG

Back