Little Green Scream Machine (TS-808)

rhaas

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I sometimes regret selling my old TS-9s back when I decided that I needed to pursue more boutiquey things. So I built this. :)

Not a whole lot to say:
  • It's a Tube Screamer.
  • In the interest of making it slightly less congested and mid-focused, I changed C4 to 56n, C5/C6 to 180n, and D1/D2 to 1N914+BAT41 (each).
  • I used a 4580 instead of a 4558 — it sounded just a little bit better.
  • I wasn't paying attention and stupidly mixed up the LED polarity, so don't look too closely there. (I blame it on the fact that I did a couple Aion builds that same weekend. 😂)
It's a classic for a reason, and I'm glad to have a plain old TS (POTS???) again!

IMG_6731.png IMG_6733.png

looks great! how do the changes feel compared to a stock TS-9?

Thanks! The differences are noticeable but not drastic.
  • C4: Changes the corner frequency from 720 Hz to 600 Hz, so it's a tiny bit more "full" sounding. I've played with different values in other TS builds and this is the sweet spot for me (I use the pedal as an overdrive—usually stacked into other pedals—so more bass is counterproductive).
  • C5/C6: The top end is a little more open. The pedal definitely still has a mid-hump character but it's not as muffled. I wouldn't bother with this if you tend to keep the tone knob in the lower half of its range on a stock TS-9.
  • D1/D2: I invariably prefer something with a higher clipping threshold than stock here. A single 1N914 in each direction is too compressed for me and the BAT41 in series opens up the dynamics just enough. (I'm also a fan of two 1N914/1N4148s in each direction for a larger change, but I was aiming to stay closer to the stock TS formula this time around :)).

I sometimes regret selling my old TS-9s back when I decided that I needed to pursue more boutiquey things. So I built this. :)

Not a whole lot to say:
  • It's a Tube Screamer.
  • In the interest of making it slightly less congested and mid-focused, I changed C4 to 56n, C5/C6 to 180n, and D1/D2 to 1N914+BAT41 (each).
  • I used a 4580 instead of a 4558 — it sounded just a little bit better.
  • I wasn't paying attention and stupidly mixed up the LED polarity, so don't look too closely there. (I blame it on the fact that I did a couple Aion builds that same weekend. 😂)
It's a classic for a reason, and I'm glad to have a plain old TS (POTS???) again!

View attachment 58920View attachment 58919
that artwork is perfect for that pedal. great idea using it for a screamer pedal.

I suppose this is also an opportunity to mention that I used that same graphic on a new enclosure for an older Aion ST-9 build. I really wish there was a PedalPCB version of that one... just sayin'. 😜

IMG_6709.png

I suppose this is also an opportunity to mention that I used that same graphic on a new enclosure for an older Aion ST-9 build. I really wish there was a PedalPCB version of that one... just sayin'. 😜

View attachment 61186

the ST-9 (and STL) is currently my favourite overdrive ever.

pedalpcb offers the 'frost drive' (inspired by VFE ice cream - which is a take on ST-9)

i just ordered this board yesterday - fingers crossed......

Back