AionFX Onyx / Boss SG-1 Slow Gear with PPCB Intelligent Relay Bypass

KR Sound

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
IMG_9118.jpg

I was approached by a local guitarist who wanted a Slow Gear with momentary relay bypass. It would've been easy to use the Procrastinator but I already had AionFX's board on hand. Since Aion's breakout boards have the power/in/out components on that board, I had to figure out what they were and how they'd fit in this combination. The highlighted components are the parts that I had to put back into the circuit:

And this was my plan:

IMG_9120.jpg

Here's what it ended up looking like when I was finished. Not the most elegant solution, but it works nice and was pretty straightforward to put together. I wasn't clear on how I was going to hook up the LED, but then I read a post here that mentioned Q1 can be replaced with one and it works perfectly. I built this in a 1590BB just to have room to maneuver and will house it in a 125 once we agree on a design for it.

IMG_9119.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

Overall, this was one of my more challenging builds and I actually had to think about it :) I've played with this for a while, and it's kind of cool, but feels like it would take some getting used to based on how you play. I added some distortion and delay on the backend and messed around a bit, but I don't think this would be something I would ever use.

Attachments

• IMG_9121.jpg
    IMG_9121.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I appreciate your honest review, even if it is more of a dud. I too have messed with this pedal years ago and I agree: "it's not for me".
Ya, seems like you have to play quite direct and matter-of-fact for it to have any affect. And it has to be first or early in the chain obviously.

One cool thing that I did discover- with whatever dirt/distortion/effect, hold a chord and then hold the footswitch for a few seconds. It will cut out and swell right back to where you were. You could probably do something with that.

I am a big fan of this relay bypass and want to start putting it on everything from now on, especially non-dirt effects! I like the memory and the different settings on the Intelligent RB- start with it on, off, or act as a normal switch with no hold. 👍🏼

One cool thing that I did discover- with whatever dirt/distortion/effect, hold a chord and then hold the footswitch for a few seconds. It will cut out and swell right back to where you were. You could probably do something with that.

This could be brilliant for focusing on a vocal stinger. ← where you direct attention to one important line. It might have a different feel than cutting the guitar out for one line. I might rewire my VFE BumbleBee to try it out. Thanks for the tip!

I am a big fan of this relay bypass and want to start putting it on everything from now on, especially non-dirt effects! I like the memory and the different settings on the Intelligent RB- start with it on, off, or act as a normal switch with no hold. 👍🏼

I love the intelligent bypass. I'm re-wiring all my keeper pedals with it.

Also: 8 offboard components!!
You have way more patience and tenacity than I do. (I would've ordered the Procrastinator b/c I'm lazy.)

Do you find the Range switch is a worthwhile mod?

Also: 8 offboard components!!
You have way more patience and tenacity than I do. (I would've ordered the Procrastinator b/c I'm lazy.)

Do you find the Range switch is a worthwhile mod?
The guy I made it for had me remove the toggle and solder the range to the highest (?) setting. It definitely makes a difference in that position.

For the AION projects that only have 3 offboard components—instead of 8—I drew up this simplified drawing that should work.

This taps power off the Intelligent Relay Bypass Module, using the reverse-polarity-protection-diode and filtering cap already built into the IRBM. In this case, the ground wire goes to a ground pad on the Vulcan, but it could also go to the unused (-) pad on the intelligent bypass board. No offboard components are required in this scenario.

1713641086439.png

For the AION projects that only have 3 offboard components—instead of 8—I drew up this simplified drawing that should work.

This taps power off the Intelligent Relay Bypass Module, using the reverse-polarity-protection-diode and filtering cap already built into the IRBM. In this case, the ground wire goes to a ground pad on the Vulcan, but it could also go to the unused (-) pad on the intelligent bypass board. No offboard components are required in this scenario.

View attachment 73444
Great solution

Back