DEMO AionFX Polyphemus (Pigtronix Philosophers Tone) - Demo Added

This post contains an audio or video demo
Good looking build MW, sad to hear it isn't your cuppa.

I've wanted this circuit for AGES, and was going to order it from TH Custom (it was out of stock when I ordered some stuff from THC previously). I never got around to ordering it 'cause there was nothing else I wanted from THC, so when I saw AionFX was giving the circuit a go, I pounced!

Just got the board a couple days ago and now there's a review with others echoing — "It's not the shizzle".

Bummed. I had such delusions of grandeur for this pedal. Hopefully it will work better on bass?
Don't let my curmudgeon-ness stop you from building it! It might be right up your alley!

This sounds more like what I was expecting. I wonder if it's even an optical??
I was looking at the schematic for your Aion build & they certainly saved a lot on parts getting rid of the Grit/ Overdrive part of the circuit for the Micro version, No wonder it fits in a 1590A size enclosure now.
I think the worst part of the Original design is that the overdrive is always present, you can't shut it off!

I'm glad this got posted because I was weirded out enough by the result that I emailed Kevin. I'd never done a search of what the original sounded like so bad on me. Still, I'm hard pressed to find anything near clean with enough volume to be useable. Cool overdrive though.

If I could eke out a bit more level I'd be OK.

I'm glad this got posted because I was weirded out enough by the result that I emailed Kevin. I'd never done a search of what the original sounded like so bad on me. Still, I'm hard pressed to find anything near clean with enough volume to be useable. Cool overdrive though.

If I could eke out a bit more level I'd be OK.
Who is Kevin?

This sounds more like what I was expecting. I wonder if it's even an optical??
You could lift the resistor pad at IC2A Pin1/ R9 where it has continuity with R8 and run a jumper wire to IC2B R15 lifted & R16 pad that connects to Pin 6.
it takes the overdrive out of Circuit!???

I built one of these and after reading you've had the same issues I think there could be something wrong with their circuit. I had a germanium philosopher's tone that I really regret letting go, so when I saw aion had a pcb I got excited to try it. I'm kind of amazed at how little volume on tap there is here, the pigtronix version did not have this issue.

I built one of these and after reading you've had the same issues I think there could be something wrong with their circuit. I had a germanium philosopher's tone that I really regret letting go, so when I saw aion had a pcb I got excited to try it. I'm kind of amazed at how little volume on tap there is here, the pigtronix version did not have this issue.
Aion lists that it just makes unity which was the findings on the one that was traced years ago.
I was doing some reading on a popular forum that complained about lack of Volume with their build that was traced years ago & they say that increasing R5 -10K to 100K gets it to a more acceptable Volume.
One well known DIY put a jfet boost at the end also for more Volume???

That change to 100K didn't seem to make much of a difference... those older bigger enclosure philosopher's tones were 12v pedals.... I wonder if they traced one of those and didn't realize it?

edit - I wanted to test on mine on 12v but I'm using 10v capacitors so i might have to hold off...

That change to 100K didn't seem to make much of a difference... those older bigger enclosure philosopher's tones were 12v pedals.... I wonder if they traced one of those and didn't realize it?

edit - I wanted to test on mine on 12v but I'm using 10v capacitors so i might have to hold off...
Aion R5 is listed as R6 in this layout:
One guy put 330k!

oh man, it was r6 that gets changed to 100k not r5,... wait a sec, nvm i think you're right lol... got confused goin between the different schematics for a sec

I probably should have read the documentation lol, the aion pcb does use a charge pump so there goes my theory on the volume discrepancy... I wonder why I remember mine sounding so much louder...

I have this version of the Philosopher's Tone. The volume is at unity at noon. Full volume is a significant boost. Note this version has no tone knob. The Grit is the only aspect of this pedal I don't like; it's ok when kept low but doesn't do well past noon.

To fix the kit I suggest we look for a schematic of this version as that should solve the volume issue. The Grit would probably need more extensive modding to turn it into a decent clipper.

PXL_20230918_164248076.MP.jpg

Back