Akronym

Mentaltossflycoon

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Looks like I'm drawing first blood on this one.
giphy (2).gif
I've made a point to avoid building screamers. No hate, I just never liked the sound. In fact it's rare for me to mess with what I consider guitar specific circuits. I've only built a pauper, a chop shop, an odr1 and the mojito. I'm also not all that drawn to eqd circuits these days but I've heard a few bass players talk up the plumes so I I've been increasingly tempted to mess with a greengage. Having the bass version develop into an available project so quickly, I was oddly motivated.

As it goes, this thing is nothing like the screamers I've played in years past. No honky mids, better tone control, much much more gain, approaching full on fuzz. In fact at the cleanest setting there's some dirt but I don't love it for the lowest "edge of" type of dirt. LED setting (mode 1) with the gain around noon is the winner here with my rig. Big and warm but also sweet and crusty articulate distortion. A really nice compliment to the Chuck D Bones bass klon. The stack works for me in both directions. Has me thinking about a combo build with an order switcher. I do like all 3 modes but when I want fuzz, i have better fuzz so I'm not really diming mode 3.

The only way I could think to improve upon this design would be a bass control. I'm sure someone out there would like to dial the low end. If I end up making the dual pedal, I'll likely add a clean blend but it's probably gilding the lilly.

The blumes has been given maximum hype for bass pedal nerds and eqd fans alike. This pedal is an amalgamation of several things I've called "shit." Sometimes that shit turns out to be hot shit so I gave it the flaming port-a-potty treatment. Looks decent on the SBP Teridium enclosure.
Screenshot_20240216_171738_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240216_185232_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I've been waiting on a build report for this one. I've had a plumes on my work bench for about a month, which was basically given to me by a guitarist in my band when it broke. I've since gotten it working, and I've been tying to make it useful for bass. I think this circuit is definitely playable on a bass, and in fact I was thinking that it would be a beautiful compliment to the Chuck D Bones bass klon.

This is a really nice build, and I'm definitely going to add it to the build pile.

I've been waiting on a build report for this one. I've had a plumes on my work bench for about a month, which was basically given to me by a guitarist in my band when it broke. I've since gotten it working, and I've been tying to make it useful for bass. I think this circuit is definitely playable on a bass, and in fact I was thinking that it would be a beautiful compliment to the Chuck D Bones bass klon.

This is a really nice build, and I'm definitely going to add it to the build pile.
I look forward to your comparison with the plumes proper.

Thanks. You are going to cost me the $$ to build one and try it next to my current favorite bass distortion (most bass amps are wayyyy too clean for 70s arena rock)— the Nobleman (Nobels ODR1)

How different is it, component-wise, than the Plumes? I have a Pedal PCB plumes that I tried to mod for bass but it's not great... would love to bring it over to blumes territory. I have an EQD Blumes and love it on bass. It's more of a utility pedal for me. Great boost/presence and helps bring the best out of all of my other pedals.

I'm borrowing a later rev SMT version Plumes, and looking at the traces and components in that area, it almost appears that the 1k in series with that cap is there. Hard to confirm, as I can't really take it apart or de-solder anything.

Could you possibly post a picture of that PCB? I mentioned in another thread that I suspect those topology changes (aside from the component value differences) might be present in the newer revisions of the Plumes.

Looks like I'm drawing first blood on this one.
View attachment 68677
I've made a point to avoid building screamers. No hate, I just never liked the sound. In fact it's rare for me to mess with what I consider guitar specific circuits. I've only built a pauper, a chop shop, an odr1 and the mojito. I'm also not all that drawn to eqd circuits these days but I've heard a few bass players talk up the plumes so I I've been increasingly tempted to mess with a greengage. Having the bass version develop into an available project so quickly, I was oddly motivated.

As it goes, this thing is nothing like the screamers I've played in years past. No honky mids, better tone control, much much more gain, approaching full on fuzz. In fact at the cleanest setting there's some dirt but I don't love it for the lowest "edge of" type of dirt. LED setting (mode 1) with the gain around noon is the winner here with my rig. Big and warm but also sweet and crusty articulate distortion. A really nice compliment to the Chuck D Bones bass klon. The stack works for me in both directions. Has me thinking about a combo build with an order switcher. I do like all 3 modes but when I want fuzz, i have better fuzz so I'm not really diming mode 3.

The only way I could think to improve upon this design would be a bass control. I'm sure someone out there would like to dial the low end. If I end up making the dual pedal, I'll likely add a clean blend but it's probably gilding the lilly.

The blumes has been given maximum hype for bass pedal nerds and eqd fans alike. This pedal is an amalgamation of several things I've called "shit." Sometimes that shit turns out to be hot shit so I gave it the flaming port-a-potty treatment. Looks decent on the SBP Teridium enclosure.
View attachment 68675View attachment 68676
Would you happen to have the build doc for the akronym?doesn't seem to be posted anywhere yet. I have 2 of the pcbs on the way

Back