Angry Frog (Mean Green Metal Machine)

chris.knudson

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I originally wasn't going to post a build report about this pedal. It's basically just another tube screamer that I singed another cap while putting it together. However, I learned a few things with this build that I thought might be worth sharing.

Lesson 1: First, this thing sounds awesome. I knew it would sound good with the humbuckers on my SG, but what I didn't expect is that this is also an incredible overdrive for the bass when you blend it with the dry signal. Using the effects loop on my HX Stomp, I'm able to mix it with the dry signal, which gives it a nice mid-range crunch while keeping the low end from the bass intact. I thought I was building this one to give away, but it might just find a permanent home on my board.

Lesson 2: This is the first pedal I've built using film-free waterslides. Thank you @mkstewartesq for turning me on to these. They are much easier to work with than regular waterslides (which is really all I had used up to this point), and the results are awesome. With a quick spray of clear coat, you end up with a very durable and professional result.

Lesson 3: About that singed cap -- no matter how hard I try, I almost inevitably end up singing a cap with virtually every build. When I was building this pedal, I discovered why. I have been using one of those lighted magnifying glasses when I solder. What I figured out this time is that when you use a magnifying glass, you lose all depth perception, so I took a cue from @Erik S and bought a pair of dual-lens magnifier, which gives me the ability to not only see what I am doing, but all to see how far away the iron is from the cap. With any luck (and a steady hand) singed caps should be a thing of the past for me.

1705542151169.png
1705542267623.png
1705542544350.png

Last edited:
Nice build, well done. I've just finished one of these, which I kind of primarly use to boost, as in Volume pretty high and gain pretty low, tone most of the way up depending on the amp. It seems to add quite a bit of noise to the signal when the volume is up past 2/3 to 3/4 of the way. Is this normal, have you fond that with your build or do you think I have an issue. Out of the 15 or so pedalpcb drives i've built, this is almost definitely the noisiest, I like what it does to the amp though...apart from the gain hiss.

Nice build, well done. I've just finished one of these, which I kind of primarly use to boost, as in Volume pretty high and gain pretty low, tone most of the way up depending on the amp. It seems to add quite a bit of noise to the signal when the volume is up past 2/3 to 3/4 of the way. Is this normal, have you fond that with your build or do you think I have an issue. Out of the 15 or so pedalpcb drives i've built, this is almost definitely the noisiest, I like what it does to the amp though...apart from the gain hiss.
I haven't found this one to be particularly noisy, but I'm using it in an effects loop with a bass -- just to add some crunch blended in with my clean sound. It works perfect for that. I have played with it a little bit with my SG with humbuckers, which tend to be a bit noisy on their own, but I haven't found this to add too much noise. It probably depends on where you put it in your signal chain. It seems to be a high gain circuit, so if you're putting noise into it, I wouldn't be surprised if you're getting noise out of it.

That looks terrific! I'm glad people posting in this thread resurfaced it, as I hadn't seen it when it was originally posted.

I use a lighted magnifying lens/ring as well. Interestingly, the issue it creates for me isn't one of depth perception - instead, it's that the light reflects so much off of the flux that I sometimes have to pull the board out and look at it in normal light just to make sure I made a good solder joint or didn't inadvertently create a solder bridge.

One of these days I'll get around to recording a demo for this one and some of my other builds -- Just been too busy between work, building pedals and practicing. My next project is rebuilding my board to put the Nobelium and maybe this one on for our upcoming spring/summer gigs.

I originally wasn't going to post a build report about this pedal. It's basically just another tube screamer that I singed another cap while putting it together. However, I learned a few things with this build that I thought might be worth sharing.

Lesson 1: First, this thing sounds awesome. I knew it would sound good with the humbuckers on my SG, but what I didn't expect is that this is also an incredible overdrive for the bass when you blend it with the dry signal. Using the effects loop on my HX Stomp, I'm able to mix it with the dry signal, which gives it a nice mid-range crunch while keeping the low end from the bass intact. I thought I was building this one to give away, but it might just find a permanent home on my board.

Lesson 2: This is the first pedal I've built using film-free waterslides. Thank you @mkstewartesq for turning me on to these. They are much easier to work with than regular waterslides (which is really all I had used up to this point), and the results are awesome. With a quick spray of clear coat, you end up with a very durable and professional result.

Lesson 3: About that singed cap -- no matter how hard I try, I almost inevitably end up singing a cap with virtually every build. When I was building this pedal, I discovered why. I have been using one of those lighted magnifying glasses when I solder. What I figured out this time is that when you use a magnifying glass, you lose all depth perception, so I took a cue from @Erik S and bought a pair of dual-lens magnifier, which gives me the ability to not only see what I am doing, but all to see how far away the iron is from the cap. With any luck (and a steady hand) singed caps should be a thing of the past for me.

View attachment 66190
View attachment 66191
View attachment 66194

I love the enclosure art!!! I have the board on the way, I'm going to build a combo pedal with this and a triad fuzz to try to mimic the Durham crazy horse (clipping OD into fuzz with voltage sag).

I love the enclosure art!!! I have the board on the way, I'm going to build a combo pedal with this and a triad fuzz to try to mimic the Durham crazy horse (clipping OD into fuzz with voltage sag).
Thanks. I didn't put too much thought into it. I had this green powder coated enclosure and this mean green metal machine, and I had just read an article about these screaming frogs...

I did the artwork in illustrator, and I used laser-printed, film-free waterslide decals, which really work great and give you a great result.

Back