Pitch Witch

chris.knudson

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So as they say, the third time is a charm. It was my goal to post a successful build report this weekend, and I'm finally able to do that with this Pitch Witch -- the Twitchy Witch. This is the third pedal I've built this weekend -- the first two were a failed attempt at a Woodpecker Tremolo and a Squidward that I stuffed into a 1590A -- I think both of these failed attempts are due to some bogus 2N5089s that I got off Amazon. Hopefully I can get those working soon.

The Twitchy Witch is the first pedal I've built with an optocoupler, and I have to admit I was a little nervous when I powered this up for the first time. I was thrilled when it worked, and I learned a lot building this pedal. As you can probably figure out from my other two builds, I've been on a modulation kick lately because I'm on the hunt for some pedals that I can use as a bass player.

This one is certainly a fun one to play with. I tested it out with my Fender Jazz bass (I haven't tried it with a guitar or synth yet), and it definitely makes some cool sounds. It produces some trippy, synthy modulated sounds, and it goes to the extremes when you crank the feedback all the way up. I doubt that it will make it on my board though. It's really more of a special effects pedal that I would only use once in a while.

I'm not super happy with the artwork on the enclosure -- this will probably be my last waterslide in lieu of film-free waterslides. I've had problems with waterslides stretching and folding over along the edges. I actually used a waterslide on this one because I wanted to paint the inside of the LED hole white and mount the LED so that her lips would light up. However, I baked it with some other pedals that I was doing a film-free waterslides on, and the part of the graphic covering her mouth melted so I had to mount the LED protruding -- not what I was going for, but oh well - turned out ok I guess.

1704609278674.png

1704609361839.png

1704609415189.png

Sweet. The blend knob is crucial for bass and modulation! 😆
Indeed. On this one especially. To make anything musical or playable with this pedal, you have to blend in quite a bit of the dry signal just so that you can feel the instrument respond. Although, you can get some cool sounding modulation and delay that could be great for ambient sounds -- just not playable in the traditional sense without blending in a lot of the dry signal.

Last edited:
Back