Anyone built rack units?

Paradox916

I have been mulling over the idea of building a rack with preamps instead of an amp build with a power section, I don’t really use a power amp much and could build one later if I decided I needed too and I like the idea of a modular system that can change with my needs. So of you that have some experience with DIY racks what are your insights, suggestions, and best places to source parts, enclosures, ect.?

I have been mulling over the idea of building a rack with preamps instead of an amp build with a power section, I don’t really use a power amp much and could build one later if I decided I needed too and I like the idea of a modular system that can change with my needs. So of you that have some experience with DIY racks what are your insights, suggestions, and best places to source parts, enclosures, ect.?
I've done a few, both solid state and tube. Par Metal and HiFi 2000 (Modushop) enclosures, some boards from Tube CAD or Rod Elliot before I just started rolling my own, faceplates from Front Panel Express ($$$), and then usually Mouser and/or Digikey for most of the parts. I also tend to use at least one Jensen transformer in most of them as well.

And one with a power amp: https://passinwind.com/Passinwind8B.html

I've done a few, both solid state and tube. Par Metal and HiFi 2000 (Modushop) enclosures, some boards from Tube CAD or Rod Elliot before I just started rolling my own, faceplates from Front Panel Express ($$$), and then usually Mouser and/or Digikey for most of the parts. I also tend to use at least one Jensen transformer in most of them as well.

And one with a power amp: https://passinwind.com/Passinwind8B.html
So for this kind of application you prefer a toroidal transform over an SMPS?

So for this kind of application you prefer a toroidal transform over an SMPS?
Not necessarily, I just managed to cop a bunch of really nice toroids for dirt cheap. The "desktop" amp in the last link uses the built in SMPS in the ICEpower power amp board and sounds just as good as any of the other builds, but the earlier Icepower amps had kind of so-so aux power supplies, FWIW.

Here's one dingus's build!

It sounds awesome. I'm putting a second SMPS for better sound in the preamps. Shielded cable over those SMPS! Single wires pick up all that oscillation.

If you have questions, ask away

I was just looking at hairball audio and their 1176....again

I've done a couple rack builds, the most recent was a uTracer tube tester. It has to plug into the computer anyway so I figured I would rackmount it so it lives permanently next to the computer desk.

The best place I've found to source rackmount enclosures has been Hawk Electronics, which is conveniently 20 minutes from my day job so I can pick up directly from the warehouse and save on shipping.

Ive wanted to make one of these for awhile now.

What would be the most difficult thing to source for that 1176? @Harry Klippton

@Harry Klippton turned me onto the Gyraff projects, when then led me to the Hairball 1176.

I think that the most difficult thing about the Gyraff project would be building the rack and faceplate. Offboard wiring would also be quite a chore, especially compared to the way that Hairball does it. I'm not sure how much you'd actually save over Hairball, especially if you consider time to be money.

I figured I would rackmount it so it lives permanently next to the computer desk.
This is the exact reason for this thought experiment, I do 99%of my playing in a chair within reach of my desk where all my pedals seem to get used and not on the floor.
The best place I've found to source rackmount enclosures has been Hawk Electronics
I will definitely check them out.

@Harry Klippton turned me onto the Gyraff projects, when then led me to the Hairball 1176.

I think that the most difficult thing about the Gyraff project would be building the rack and faceplate. Offboard wiring would also be quite a chore, especially compared to the way that Hairball does it. I'm not sure how much you'd actually save over Hairball, especially if you consider time to be money.
I wouldnt mind putting the time into it, its really just something ive wanted to make for myself. Ive always been interested in rack units, especially the modulation ones ive seen built on a youtube channel that i cant quite remember.

Back