Anything Kingsley

To be honest looking at the gust there is no way I gonna spend 400 bu ka with that messy build quality and wiring. Would be so much better if he used pcbs

As someone who has built a lot of amps I would rather work on turret board or tagboard than PCB for something like this. Every method has its place but for amps and anything tube where heat is an issue turrets and tags are much more robust and easier to service. I like PCB for pedals because it can be so neat and small, but if I'm building something I may want to experiment with I'll still use vero. I reeeeally don't like swapping parts on a PCB.

I've owned a few Kingsley pedals and they are very well built. It may look messy but there is a method there and they look like they would handle a lot of travel. Not easy to get amp-sized parts into a small box!

I don't think it looks messy. I think it looks like someone engineered it and took a bit of time to hand wire every part. After looking inside, I can say that each wire and part is pretty meticulously placed. I've never had or heard of anyone else having issues with function, heat, or failure. The only issues I have ever read about was a fuse blowing and a footswitch going out, which are pretty standard for something like this.

I think PCBs are far easier for sure, but nothing looks sexier than hand-wired components IMO.

I agree that the build style is meticulous and appropriate for high voltage tube stuff, its how good tube amps are built on the inside basically although there's usually more space available which helps to make it look tidier. But it's good old craftsmanship solid and great for servicing.

I like making my Eyelet Board circuits, Here's a couple of pedals I created - 1590BB's.
Note Cutouts for Jacks & Pots.
If I need extra Colour for Wires, I use An Artline Ink pen in Black, Red Or Blue to draw a stripe on standard colours :

Dumkudo - This was modded later so Toggle switches could be alongside Jacks!
Just used 1'4'' Rubber bungs to seal Holes up!
KUDO'S Twin Pedal 3.jpg 1603622404793.png

ODR-S------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CLUSTERFUZZ
Special Overdrive Custom Pedal 2.jpg Tru-Grit Overdrive Fuzz Custom Pedal 2.jpg

Last edited:
Those look incredible ?

it would be really nice to see an eyelet board pedal with tubes. Very nicely done!

Last edited:
Here's a tube pre-amp/distortion box I built in turret board style. Based on Matchless Hotbox, Marshall JCM800 and a tube buffered fx loop that can double as a boost.

6vjI44S.jpg

1Up2393.jpg

Here's a tube pre-amp/distortion box I built in turret board style. Based on Matchless Hotbox, Marshall JCM800 and a tube buffered fx loop that can double as a boost.

6vjI44S.jpg

1Up2393.jpg
Very cool! Looks very tidy!

What are those big green capacitors? Looks very cool and I bet it sounds great

I know this thread hasn't been touched in forever, but I wanted to mention that I just verified the schematic posted earlier on. I forgot to change C1 to 2n2 and C4 to 1n (240p is the default value for that footprint in my library), but aside from that the first schematic megatrav shared is correct.

An important note, lows switch is an SPDT ON/OFF/ON but the mode switch is DPDT ON/ON/ON, if you try ON/OFF/ON you'll be missing a mode. Learned that the hard way :p ON/ON/ON works and gives all three though.

I played a Jouster a few weeks ago and, man, those things are awesome!!!
If I'd live in the US/CA I'd already ordered a few of theirs...but shipping to Germany is $70, plus waiting 7 months, plus taxes & fees on the pedal price+shipping is just too much...

I've got a buddy with like 4 Kingsley pedals. I could likely convince him to snag some photos of them. If you're interested @PedalPCB let me know and I'll see which ones he's got.

Earlier this year PedalPCB mentioned that one of the plans might be to introduce tube based pedals. Would that include anything akin to the Kingsley Squire or Maiden. . . full tube preamps? (Hint. . . please say "yes")

I've gotta necro a little bit here. Aside from the massive oversight of no DS1 pcb yet (;p) I think a tube based pedal that isn't a Valvecaster would be stellar. I personally lust after the Maiden. It's a perfect storm of pricey pedal, intrigue of using tubes, and the fact that they are made by a single human.

Those are the cherries on top of all the great sounding demos I've heard. Kingsley, please!

Back