Are these LM308's legit?

Barnshart

Been going down the Proco RAT mod journey and would like to try out the LM308 op amp in mine. So I am in the market for some. I have heard before that buying some certain parts online can be a crapshoot because of counterfeit parts floating around. So I was wondering if anybody knowledgeable could take a peak at these and let me know if they seem "legit" to a degree or if it's a waste of time and money.

If they are counterfeit, will they at least still work? What exactly is it that makes them bad to buy? Are they simply specd wrong, or will the function as intended but maybe not made by the exact company they claim to be or something?

LM308's in question: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/31165040670...cNFcFzYm4YlySiwCixCDf4+7P7M=|tkp:BFBMxonGtdZh

I'm going to say most likely not legit.

They might work, but you'd probably be just as well (or better) off buying an OP07 or even TL071.

They might work, but you'd probably be just as well (or better) off buying an OP07 or even TL071.

Thanks Robert. I figured as much, but I already have the TL071 in mine now and really wanted to see what the hubub was all about with the magical LM308! For the price they are, maybe ill grab them anyways just to see.

I was about to say…you’re better off just getting some OP07’s. That’s what ProCo is using too. There’s little to no difference between a LM308 and an OP07…at least nothing that’s seriously audible. I think an OP07 produces less noise anyways. I think the NOS status surrounding an LM308 is bullshit if you ask me.

I was about to say…you’re better off just getting some OP07’s. That’s what ProCo is using too. There’s little to no difference between a LM308 and an OP07…at least nothing that’s seriously audible. I think an OP07 produces less noise anyways. I think the NOS status surrounding an LM308 is bullshit if you ask me.
Yeah I get what you are saying. I know the LM308 isn't really this magic thing by any means. But if I put a socket in my build, I'd like to have one of each just for shits really. I'm not expecting any significant change, I just want to have a fun extra thing I can do with it lol. I have a few OP07's coming in the mail already

don't really need the LM308 when you've got OP07 on the way.
they sound exactly the same. you will never tell which is which in a blinded A/B

Yeah I get what you are saying. I know the LM308 isn't really this magic thing by any means. But if I put a socket in my build, I'd like to have one of each just for shits really. I'm not expecting any significant change, I just want to have a fun extra thing I can do with it lol. I have a few OP07's coming in the mail already
That’s my thoughts too. I’ve got a few Rat pedal circuits with LM308’s. Bragging rights I guess. 🤪

Back