Been a minute - dev question

knucklehead

Hey y'all - I got a bee in my bonnet to do something unusual and thought to hodgepodge boards from here as part of it.

The end-goal is an onboard active system for a three pickup bass - the plan is to isolate the signals from each of the pickups and dedicate passive tone pots to each of them, and incorporate an onboard boost to up signal strength.

I was looking at the Simple JFET Buffer for each of the pickups. Where I am confusing myself is if I run any two pickups in series do I lose isolation of the tone circuit? Is there a stereo buffer project that I could use in triplicate to get around series/parallel configurations?

As for the boost circuit - I am at an utter loss. ANY suggestions on a simple, clean opamp boost circuit is welcome.

Yeah, PPCB first of course, but I have various open source utilty board designs ready to go for stuff like that. I don’t have them up on Github and Oshpark yet but it wouldn’t take to make that happen. All of them use SMD opamps and resistors though, if that’s a deal breaker. Notthing super small, just SOIC-8 and 1206 parts.

As far as pickup configs, if using series mode l’d be wanting to keep that option passive since you want the coil inductances to interact, it‘s arguably the whole point. So I’d switch out at least one tone cap, have to think on the volume control ramifications. I think something like three of my Simple Gain boards and then one another of the various little mix/blend boards I’ve done. I think all of this would draw right around 1mA if using the opamps that @JTEX prefers. He may have some easier/ready built options though, I remember seeing a cool buffer/fixed EQ schematic that he did fairly recently.

Hey y'all - I got a bee in my bonnet to do something unusual and thought to hodgepodge boards from here as part of it.

The end-goal is an onboard active system for a three pickup bass - the plan is to isolate the signals from each of the pickups and dedicate passive tone pots to each of them, and incorporate an onboard boost to up signal strength.

I was looking at the Simple JFET Buffer for each of the pickups. Where I am confusing myself is if I run any two pickups in series do I lose isolation of the tone circuit? Is there a stereo buffer project that I could use in triplicate to get around series/parallel configurations?

As for the boost circuit - I am at an utter loss. ANY suggestions on a simple, clean opamp boost circuit is welcome.
Maybe I don’t understand the question: if you have two pickups in series (or parallel for that matter, as long as they are mixed) don’t you lose isolation by definition because you are summing the two signals?

Yeah, PPCB first of course, but I have various open source utilty board designs ready to go for stuff like that. I don’t have them up on Github and Oshpark yet but it wouldn’t take to make that happen. All of them use SMD opamps and resistors though, if that’s a deal breaker. Notthing super small, just SOIC-8 and 1206 parts.

As far as pickup configs, if using series mode l’d be wanting to keep that option passive since you want the coil inductances to interact, it‘s arguably the whole point. So I’d switch out at least one tone cap, have to think on the volume control ramifications. I think something like three of my Simple Gain boards and then one another of the various little mix/blend boards I’ve done. I think all of this would draw right around 1mA if using the opamps that @JTEX prefers. He may have some easier/ready built options though, I remember seeing a cool buffer/fixed EQ schematic that he did fairly recently.

I just figured you'd have the answer regardless haha

Maybe I don’t understand the question: if you have two pickups in series (or parallel for that matter, as long as they are mixed) don’t you lose isolation by definition because you are summing the two signals?
Perhaps if each hot lead from each pickup is buffered and the buffered signal only goes to a specific coil's tone pot there will be no interactivity. But I wanted to ask the question as this notion has been a serious mind-f!ck.

I started down this path passively in a Telecaster harness. I sent the hot pickup leads to separate volume pot center lugs, and tied the center lugs to the tone pot circuit. If either pickup was rolled off I got tone isolation, but with increasing volume I got increasing interactivity as the hot send from the volume pots were common to the tip connection. Adding a third coil with a series configuration couldn't work passively and wanted to get some assurance it would work if it were buffered

Howdy stranger!

I don't see a problem w SMD opamps - I'm chasing clean and isolated, so how I get there is predicated on ONLY that. I DOES have to live in a bass' control cavity and I do have room built in to mine as they were designed forever ago with SD pre's as standard.

I'd prefer to keep the pickups passive and naturally interactive - I was/am uncertain if building in buffers eliminated passive relationships on the pup side.

Greetings all.

@Passinwind asked me to chime in, because buffering is my speciality.

For any coil wound pickup you to sound good, you want to have it a moderate resonance peak at 2-3 kHz. Unloaded, it has a peak
far above that, which is not considered musical or useful.

You want a capacitor in the nanofarad region to achieve the lower resonance frequency. Dependent on the kind of pickup (speak: dependent on
its inductance and wire resistance) you need a parallel resistor in the 250-500k region (250 typical for single coils, 500 for Humbuckers)
to bring down the resonance peak (Q) to a musical height.

In a practical vintage (passive) system, this role is taken over by the volume pots, and a "voicing" capacitor is not seldomly added (particularly
on basses) to bring the peak frequency down.

So this is what every pickup wants to see.

Scenario #1:

If you want to isolate the pickups so that they don't interfere with each other, you intuitively would want to buffer each of them.
You would add a "taming" resistor to each of them to taste and if too shrill, a small capacitor. I would start with 200 pF and work my way up until
it sounds ok.

The Tone pot does not interfere much if in the off state, and in the low resistance state it connects the capacitor that is wired to it in parallel to the alleged voicing capacitor, which brings the peak down even further. So choose wisely. The stock values are surely too big for that.
For me, the first thing that comes to mind for such a buffer is a j-fet buffer, which can run on very low current and is benign in its overload characteristics. With a suitably high input series resistor, this circuit is also RF intrusion proof, just in case anything escapes the filtering action the pickup itself provides.

However, you cannot just join the outputs (in this case, the source terminals). You need some kind of a mixer stage.

Sometimes you see designs where they just mix signals via two resistors, but this is a very crude method and inappropriate in the lights of the effort you made beforehand.

So you need a mixer stage. Any inverting op-amp connection can serve as a mixer. The node on the inverting (-) input of the OPA, where the feedback resistor and the input resistor meets, is (for all practical means) at a (near) zero potential (the so-called "virtual earth", which it is NOT!), so you can add a second input resistor to this node and mix signals without any interaction.

You can use a variable resistor (a volume pot in rheostat connection) for this purpose, which in conjunction with the feedback resistor, gives a negative gain, i.e. an attenuation. This is how many simple mixers are done. The resistor values can be kept in the 10kOhm region.

Scenario #2:

You may of course skip the discrete buffers entirely and wire them directly to the mixer, but if you do that, you would need to raise the input resistor values to a fixed value in the MOhm range (disregarding the volume control momentarily). From a mixer perspective, this is perfectly valid and workable, but you have to move the RF protection somewhere else, plus you have to move the volume control somewhere else.

You could for example use volume pots in a traditional fashion alongside with tone pots (which works well), and then run into the mixer.

The first scenario keeps noise low due to low resistance values, the latter may be a source of noise. This depends vastly on the OPA chosen. More on this later.

If you want to do turn on individual pickups, this is most easily accomplished by switching contacts of choice. The signals are mixed without interference. In the off state, the switch would short-circuit the signal to ground, such as at the volume pot center connection.

The pickups will always be in parallel this way. Connecting them in series would be very complicated. That said, with "pickup" I mean "a physical pickup complex", as for example a humbucker or single coil represents one. You can always locally wire such a humbucker in series/parallel/single with a separate switch.

Note that this will throw your choice of voicing cap entirely, unless you made individual voicing caps for each passive setting.
Indeed, a passive parallel connection usually benefits form a voicing cap (and even more so a single coil), but this would be counterproductive in series setting.

You need to think about the OPA too. You may use a quad OPA to cover all the buffering and mixing, but you would need to be very specific in
finding an OPA that is low noise, low current, rail-to-rail, and potentially split-supply ready. You also want to know the overload recovery characteristics. Those demands are often technically contradicting.
j-fet and bipolar ones differ in the input noise characteristics vastly. The ones have current noise, the others voltage noise.

Frankly, I do not know what you want to gain from all that.
I have a bass guitar that has two humbuckers, and I interconnect the coils ad lib. The bass has a buffering amp on board, and there is *no* apparent degrading of tone. If I activate the active/passive switch, the active always wins in terms of pristine signal.
For my Strats, I have made a crude j-fet buffer, which resides in a small enclosure with a 20cm cable on it. This is the shortest connection you can
make with an external box. The long cable to the amp and effects plugs into a connector on the box.

This is a HUGE improvement over the unbuffered version, and I never felt the urge for an improvement other than the fact of the somewhat clumsy external box.

IMHO you would be much better off with that. Using a buffer you always have a consistent and predictable signal, and if it all of a sudden appears shrill, then you just regained the treble you otherwise have lost on your cable. This can be most easily be corrected with a small move on the tone pot, or better, with a voicing cap inside.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
@aquataur amazing info in that write up, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Do you have a picture of the "external box" you built. Just curious to see what your setup looks like.

Certainly. The box is a cast aluminium box Type A as my dealer calls it (90x38x30mm).
It contains a 9V block battery (which lasts for years), a small j-fet buffer PCB and a standard guitar female connector. I used a Pure Tone specimen, since this guarantees contact even if the cable is moving. The difference is night and day.
Still sometimes I play without, when I am not pushed about the perfect tone.

The black rubber thing is for protection (of the guitar) and is a piece of bicycle tubing.:cool:
The bracket has a keyhole eyelet that clips onto the strap holder, but this does not work if you use a strap. I have yet to find a way to attach this to a strap. Maybe somebody else has a great idea. The bracket just slides in and stays put by the elastic rubber tube.

I generally advise for buffering the guitar, but the tonal change caused by the restoration of the previously lost tone seems to appear so drastic to people who have gotten used to it that they want their beloved ball-and-chain back. At no place in the signal chain is the effect of a buffer as dramatic as here.
Buffering needs some degree of understanding the problem, but then you never want to look back. An endless number of fixes and work-arounds have evolved just to fix the issues caused by wrong impedances.
FIY, there has been a discussion here about this subject.

Attachments

• ext buffer box.jpg
    ext buffer box.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Greetings all.

@Passinwind asked me to chime in, because buffering is my speciality.

For any coil wound pickup you to sound good, you want to have it a moderate resonance peak at 2-3 kHz. Unloaded, it has a peak
far above that, which is not considered musical or useful.

You want a capacitor in the nanofarad region to achieve the lower resonance frequency. Dependent on the kind of pickup (speak: dependent on
its inductance and wire resistance) you need a parallel resistor in the 250-500k region (250 typical for single coils, 500 for Humbuckers)
to bring down the resonance peak (Q) to a musical height.

In a practical vintage (passive) system, this role is taken over by the volume pots, and a "voicing" capacitor is not seldomly added (particularly
on basses) to bring the peak frequency down.

So this is what every pickup wants to see.

Scenario #1:

If you want to isolate the pickups so that they don't interfere with each other, you intuitively would want to buffer each of them.
You would add a "taming" resistor to each of them to taste and if too shrill, a small capacitor. I would start with 200 pF and work my way up until
it sounds ok.

The Tone pot does not interfere much if in the off state, and in the low resistance state it connects the capacitor that is wired to it in parallel to the alleged voicing capacitor, which brings the peak down even further. So choose wisely. The stock values are surely too big for that.
For me, the first thing that comes to mind for such a buffer is a j-fet buffer, which can run on very low current and is benign in its overload characteristics. With a suitably high input series resistor, this circuit is also RF intrusion proof, just in case anything escapes the filtering action the pickup itself provides.

However, you cannot just join the outputs (in this case, the source terminals). You need some kind of a mixer stage.

Sometimes you see designs where they just mix signals via two resistors, but this is a very crude method and inappropriate in the lights of the effort you made beforehand.

So you need a mixer stage. Any inverting op-amp connection can serve as a mixer. The node on the inverting (-) input of the OPA, where the feedback resistor and the input resistor meets, is (for all practical means) at a (near) zero potential (the so-called "virtual earth", which it is NOT!), so you can add a second input resistor to this node and mix signals without any interaction.

You can use a variable resistor (a volume pot in rheostat connection) for this purpose, which in conjunction with the feedback resistor, gives a negative gain, i.e. an attenuation. This is how many simple mixers are done. The resistor values can be kept in the 10kOhm region.

Scenario #2:

You may of course skip the discrete buffers entirely and wire them directly to the mixer, but if you do that, you would need to raise the input resistor values to a fixed value in the MOhm range (disregarding the volume control momentarily). From a mixer perspective, this is perfectly valid and workable, but you have to move the RF protection somewhere else, plus you have to move the volume control somewhere else.

You could for example use volume pots in a traditional fashion alongside with tone pots (which works well), and then run into the mixer.

The first scenario keeps noise low due to low resistance values, the latter may be a source of noise. This depends vastly on the OPA chosen. More on this later.

If you want to do turn on individual pickups, this is most easily accomplished by switching contacts of choice. The signals are mixed without interference. In the off state, the switch would short-circuit the signal to ground, such as at the volume pot center connection.

The pickups will always be in parallel this way. Connecting them in series would be very complicated. That said, with "pickup" I mean "a physical pickup complex", as for example a humbucker or single coil represents one. You can always locally wire such a humbucker in series/parallel/single with a separate switch.

Note that this will throw your choice of voicing cap entirely, unless you made individual voicing caps for each passive setting.
Indeed, a passive parallel connection usually benefits form a voicing cap (and even more so a single coil), but this would be counterproductive in series setting.

You need to think about the OPA too. You may use a quad OPA to cover all the buffering and mixing, but you would need to be very specific in
finding an OPA that is low noise, low current, rail-to-rail, and potentially split-supply ready. You also want to know the overload recovery characteristics. Those demands are often technically contradicting.
j-fet and bipolar ones differ in the input noise characteristics vastly. The ones have current noise, the others voltage noise.

Frankly, I do not know what you want to gain from all that.
I have a bass guitar that has two humbuckers, and I interconnect the coils ad lib. The bass has a buffering amp on board, and there is *no* apparent degrading of tone. If I activate the active/passive switch, the active always wins in terms of pristine signal.
For my Strats, I have made a crude j-fet buffer, which resides in a small enclosure with a 20cm cable on it. This is the shortest connection you can
make with an external box. The long cable to the amp and effects plugs into a connector on the box.

This is a HUGE improvement over the unbuffered version, and I never felt the urge for an improvement other than the fact of the somewhat clumsy external box.

IMHO you would be much better off with that. Using a buffer you always have a consistent and predictable signal, and if it all of a sudden appears shrill, then you just regained the treble you otherwise have lost on your cable. This can be most easily be corrected with a small move on the tone pot, or better, with a voicing cap inside.

Hope that helps.
Yes it does - but not entirely. This is my shortcomings, and not your lack of clear explanation.

I have two passive switching options; a 4-position or a 3-position. The 4-position; bridge and middle only in series, bridge and middle in series w/neck additional in parallel, middle and neck in series w bridge additional in parallel, middle and neck only in series. The 3-position; bridge and middle in series, bridge and neck run parallel then in series into the middle pickup, middle and neck in series.

Each pickup is voiced to accentuate position tonality and are unique from one another - and why I prefer to have tone control specific and isolated to/from each pickup. My preferential circuit is the 4 position.

A boost/amplitude circuit is gravy. I want to include one to give current Quake players the same current/volume option that original Quake players enjoyed with the soapbar/active EQ/boost the first 4 Quakes sported.

SO . . . .

If I am interpreting your suggestions well and proper, a push/pull would enable the appropriate resistor combinations to address load balancing given the two different current sources - passive and active. A buffer can isolate the passive tone circuit assigned to each pickup. Where I get lost is whether or not the switching through/between the coil combinations ruins utterly the isolation the buffers provide. In my head, each pickup is in essence buffered twice for the sake of the passive tone stacks, and for switching between series/parallel w each other in order to maintain isolation.

I bet I am overthinking/overcomplicating things . . . . . . 'cuz I do that

o.0

On my past experiments, I found accidentally the following:
  • a louder signal is perceived better (this is long known). A series combination thus will sound better in a direct comparison.
  • a series combination sounds sounds smoother (maybe less harsh into an overdrive)
This is self-deception. I installed a loudness matching network (fancy word for a resistive voltage divider) and a buffer afterwards,
and lo and behold, there was little difference between the two. This was quite revealing.

The series connection usually has a higher impedance which will let the effect of a cable capacity come out more. Buffered, this is mostly gone.
Gain matching did the rest.

Connect a high resistance (your series resistance) in parallel to a low one (a third pickup in parallel), and the low resistance will play by far the most dominant role. I doubt if the series branch contributes much.

So, I am not convinced about your fancy interconnections.
Actually, your endeavour reminds me of an Armstrong Super-Strat. This is in fact what I have been referring to above.
I suggest you put that together quickly and see what it does.

I ended up removing the gain matching again, because the series mode yielded no benefit this way. I now use it as a boost during performance.

A word of warning:
this is a huge intervention in the proven functionality of an instrument.
I like to quote the story of the Gibson LP Recording guitar. It was destined for recording purposes, in an environment, where you may have a minute or two to switch between sound and to hone in on some, but not for a live performance. Too many knobs and switches.

Too much specialization and nobody will understand the instrument. I hear that every time when people play the Superstrat, despite its vastly expanded possibilities.

Consider that and let me know what you think.

On my past experiments, I found accidentally the following:
  • a louder signal is perceived better (this is long known). A series combination thus will sound better in a direct comparison.
  • a series combination sounds sounds smoother (maybe less harsh into an overdrive)
This is self-deception. I installed a loudness matching network (fancy word for a resistive voltage divider) and a buffer afterwards,
and lo and behold, there was little difference between the two. This was quite revealing.

The series connection usually has a higher impedance which will let the effect of a cable capacity come out more. Buffered, this is mostly gone.
Gain matching did the rest.

Connect a high resistance (your series resistance) in parallel to a low one (a third pickup in parallel), and the low resistance will play by far the most dominant role. I doubt if the series branch contributes much.

So, I am not convinced about your fancy interconnections.
Actually, your endeavour reminds me of an Armstrong Super-Strat. This is in fact what I have been referring to above.
I suggest you put that together quickly and see what it does.

I ended up removing the gain matching again, because the series mode yielded no benefit this way. I now use it as a boost during performance.

A word of warning:
this is a huge intervention in the proven functionality of an instrument.
I like to quote the story of the Gibson LP Recording guitar. It was destined for recording purposes, in an environment, where you may have a minute or two to switch between sound and to hone in on some, but not for a live performance. Too many knobs and switches.

Too much specialization and nobody will understand the instrument. I hear that every time when people play the Superstrat, despite its vastly expanded possibilities.

Consider that and let me know what you think.
In a real way, the instrument this is headed toward is exactly the space the Gibson recording guitar occupies - it is a purpose built, very low tuned, studio oriented instrument. And by low I mean REALLY low - 20hz low. It will be all about subtleties.

I do understand your meaning. There is actually a project awaiting the prototype - to be used in the creation of a Kontakt sound library voice. Hence my want for nuanced control. I can dumb it down for production - but I can't make a dumb bass smart for the sake of the maiden project.

So your loudness matching network - how did you apply it? Was its purpose to raise the gain on the series pair, or the single coil? I'm not clear on how you did what you did.

The 3-way may be the better option given the information you provided - series relationship with the center coil always on, and the three selector positions providing either bridge or neck with the center sending both neck and bridge to the series connection. Perhaps even a series/parallel master switch.

Last edited:
The loudness matching network, IIRC was no more than a set of fixed resistors. Indeed you could use a trim pot.
I removed it again because it did not offer anything new or different, just a series connection sounding vastly similar to the parallel connection.
With the loudness change it can at least serve as a "solo" position.
I do not recommend this for a permanent setting. I had it there to proof the pudding. And it was revealing!

Indeed, today I cranked my Tele. I have installed a 5 way switch instead of the 3 way, so I can have N+B parallel or series. Naturally, series is louder, and according to our axiom "louder is better"... you know the rest.
But as soon as I match the volumes by tweaking the volume control during switching both sound nearly equal. This is with a buffer of course.

So, I do not see much advantage to have the same combinations in series and parallel versions. By all means, try it.

For your problem, I am sure I do not fully understand it. From a distance, particularly by just interpreting textual descriptions, this is hard to achive.

The loudness matching network, IIRC was no more than a set of fixed resistors. Indeed you could use a trim pot.
I removed it again because it did not offer anything new or different, just a series connection sounding vastly similar to the parallel connection.
With the loudness change it can at least serve as a "solo" position.
I do not recommend this for a permanent setting. I had it there to proof the pudding. And it was revealing!

Indeed, today I cranked my Tele. I have installed a 5 way switch instead of the 3 way, so I can have N+B parallel or series. Naturally, series is louder, and according to our axiom "louder is better"... you know the rest.
But as soon as I match the volumes by tweaking the volume control during switching both sound nearly equal. This is with a buffer of course.

So, I do not see much advantage to have the same combinations in series and parallel versions. By all means, try it.

For your problem, I am sure I do not fully understand it. From a distance, particularly by just interpreting textual descriptions, this is hard to achive.
So if I am reading you correctly - you used resistors to make the series connected coils the same amplitude/signal strength as a/the single coil? If true, it's something I have never tried. I do understand the tonal differences between series and parallel harnesses but that is not the fight I am picking in designing (or not) the circuit I have in my head.

I want to take advantage of the signal strength a series relationship provides - despite the tonal compromise. What I want to do in addition is add a quieter single coil signal to that series signal for some subtle tonal variation; adding a parallel single coil neck signal to a bridge-and-middle series relationship. Add the parallel single coil bridge signal to a Neck-middle series relationship. The combinations leaving 4 setting options organically - ideally, each having at least a subtle difference from one another.

Which leads back to my original quandary - I want to at minimum have a tone stack devoted to the neck and bridge single coils individually that are isolated from and do not directly interact with each other. Buffering was the only way my little brain saw this working - but I am uncertain if it's possible given the balance of my intended circuit design. And then there is still my want of a slight opamp boost to overall signal - not at all to the degree of internal distortion, but enough to make the overall output from the passive, humbucking instrument comparable to a fully-active one.

Last edited:
So if I am reading you correctly - you used resistors to make the series connected coils the same amplitude/signal strength as a/the single coil? If true, it's something I have never tried. I do understand the tonal differences between series and parallel harnesses but that is not the fight I am picking in designing (or not) the circuit I have in my head.
Yes. So drop that notion.
I want to take advantage of the signal strength a series relationship provides - despite the tonal compromise. What I want to do in addition is add a quieter single coil signal to that series signal for some subtle tonal variation; adding a parallel single coil neck signal to a bridge-and-middle series relationship. Add the parallel single coil bridge signal to a Neck-middle series relationship. The combinations leaving 4 setting options organically - ideally, each having at least a subtle difference from one another.
I am starting to understand.
Which leads back to my original quandary - I want to at minimum have a tone stack devoted to the neck and bridge single coils individually that are isolated from and do not directly interact with each other. Buffering was the only way my little brain saw this working - but I am uncertain if it's possible given the balance of my intended circuit design. And then there is still my want of a slight opamp boost to overall signal - not at all to the degree of internal distortion, but enough to make the overall output from the passive, humbucking instrument comparable to a fully-active one.
Yes buffering appears like the weapon of choice.
adding a parallel single coil neck signal to a bridge-and-middle series relationship.
Let's take this scenario. I presume you mean add the single neck coil in parallel with a b/m series connection.
Series and parallel connection is an entirely passive thing. All pickups interact in their natural way. As you suspect, the contribution of the weakest element may be subtle. One could devise a switching scheme that accomplishes that topology.

If you want individual tone controls on each coil that do not interact, there is no way around buffering each individually. But here is the catch.
There is no" series connection" of voltages. You can add or subtract voltages.

If you then wanted a whole different interconnection, the game repeats. The switching complexity would become astronomic. I do not really see a solution for that.

You could alternatively add volume pots to each coil besides tone control and buffering and then mix them at a mixer stage.
Similar to Stratocasters (almost) although this is entirely passive and interacts.
Are not the Alembics like that?
And then there is still my want of a slight opamp boost to overall signal - not at all to the degree of internal distortion, but enough to make the overall output from the passive, humbucking instrument comparable to a fully-active one.
That is the least problem. But your envisioned instrument is no longer passive. Hum cancellation is a different can of worms.
With that complex interconnection it is almost guaranteed that some positions hum (more). You need equal coils to cancel out hum.
The serial part can be made hum cancelling, but adding a single...

Edit: you can add a dummy coil and then electronically add a hum cancellation signal, which size is dependent on your configuration.
That is doable, but the effort is exorbitant.

Last edited:
Back