BJFe Folk Fuzz Deluxe

I have. Tried the Bone Bender, but to me it didn't stand out as different / better than some of the other TBs I've built / breadboarded.

The Honey Bee is from the same family as the Model G, Model H, Sweet Honey, etc. That family of circuits is at the heart of the Mojito.

I don't like the sounds of every circuit Bjorn Juhl has designed, but the ones I do like, I really like. The Folk Fuzz, Pink Purple Fuzz, Emerald Green Distortion Machine and Honey Bee circuits really impress me with their sound, versatility and quality of design. I respect BJ for his designs and his understanding of how electric guitar sounds are formed and modified in pedals and amps. I've learned a great deal from studying his work.
Speaking of the Mojito I need to bump it upon the wishlist

Chuck D, is there a vero you might be able to share for this? I've built the Sparkle Face, 109, and the BoneBenders, would love to give this one a go.

Sure thang!
FUZZ pins 1 & 2 go to the stompswitch.
VOICE sw center pin goes to GND.
TONE 2 & 3 go to GND,
LEVEL 2 goes to the stompswitch.
LEVEL 1 goes to GND.
R1 is mounted on the stompswitch.
Let me know if you have any questions.

1644951019815.png

Folk Fuzz Deluxe v1.0 sch.png

Last edited:
Chuck D., I'm looking at the datasheet for 1N4004s, which is the critical value for use in this circuit? I have 4001s and 4007s. The maximum RMS voltage is pretty different but the forward current is the same for all of them.

Reactions: fig
Thanks for sharing your layout Chuck, this thing really rips! I tried out my MP38As and some GT404s, which all sounded good, but ended up going with an AC127 set I had. In hindsight I should have tried out the transistor clippers but these germanium diodes sounded pretty good and I just left them in. Thanks again! Here's a pic in the messy temporary enclosure.
8d7oGbv.jpg

Glad you like it. Proves you don't need a ton of parts to get great tone. The AC127 is a sweet transistor.

Make sure the transistor heatsinks don't short to anything on the board because the base connects to the case on AC127s.

Back