Black Arts Toneworks Pharoah squeal/whine

jwyles90

Hey all! I know this isn't a PPCB build but I'm hoping to get a bit of insight on what could be causing this issue. The pedal itself seems to be working fine, everything does what it's advertised to do, however when I have the level and/or fuzz up high enough I get this low pitched whine/squeal. It's there even when the volume on my guitar is all the way off too. I checked to make sure that everything was grounded correctly and as far as I can tell everything is. I'm not exactly sure what to troubleshoot for at this point, since I don't run into this kind of problem all too often so my experience with identifying where that particular noise comes from is limited. It could also very well be that that's just the nature of this particular fuzz when you turn the gain and level up, but I figured I'd see if y'all had any insight before I called it a day on this one.

Here's a little video of the sound, and some gut shots. Hope that helps, and thanks in advance for all your help!!
IMG_8846.jpeg

definitely not normal. i'd check with the grounding.....i see that the board is ground through the output jack. idk if it could be that but i always ground the board directly at the DC jack (along with the input jack). i usually let the output grounding through the enclosure (just scrape a little paint to expose the metal).

definitely not normal. i'd check with the grounding.....i see that the board is ground through the output jack. idk if it could be that but i always ground the board directly at the DC jack (along with the input jack). i usually let the output grounding through the enclosure (just scrape a little paint to expose the metal).
It's weird, all the Aion FX builds have their wiring set up fairly similarly to what I did here. I've done a good amount of their builds and never had any issue like this from that wiring layout, but I went back and switched everything by rewiring ground to the input instead. I took an audio prove to it and found that the hum was coming pretty much directly from the positive voltage on the DC jack. Tried it with a different power supply and it decreased quite a bit but it's still somewhat there when the level and gain are up more.

Could the dc jack itself be the culprit?

Back