Build report backlog

enrosenzweig

After posting my 2-in-1 Super Stevie+Red Herring build, I decided to take a peak in some of my older builds and was pleasantly surprised! They aren't perfect by any measure, but still not quite as messy as my memory had me believe. I'd say it's a testament to the great layouts by @PedalPCB and not so much my building skills. This forum has been a tremendous help and I'm grateful! Here goes...

#1 - Quarantine Fuzz

I believe this was the first pedal I built. If not first, then second. It's an amazing fuzz. At some point I decided to pull the tone control and change it to a starve control I saw at Beavis Audio. Now I can get more gated textures out of it. The art is one of the early electron microscope images of the Covid-19 virus (see here).

Quarantine1.jpg

Quarantine2.jpg

#2 - Squidward AKA Low Earth Orbit

There were a lot of space themed podcasts playing in the house when I made this one. As noted in other Build threads, putting this in front of a good fuzz is pretty awesome. It's not at all a "clean" octave up like an Octavia - much nastier with a distinct growl to it.

LEO1.jpg

LEO2.jpg

#3 - Plecostomus Fuzz AKA Into The Void

I finished this a while ago, but ran out of 2N5089s and had MPSA18s in it instead. I just put in 2N5089s last night and need to play through it some more to see if there's a big difference. While this isn't a Black Sabbath style pedal per se, I went with Sabbath title anyway. I remember riding in the car with my Dad when Iron Man came on the radio. "What is this?!?" The rest of high school was boat loads of Sabbath for me.

IMG_7900.jpg

IMG_7901.jpg

#4 - Drive 55 AKA The Transmitter

This is a favorite of mine. It really is as versatile as Howard Gee describes it to be in one of his Youtube videos. He had me sold as soon as he said Kenny Burrell. The pedal nails that tweed tone.

transmitter1.jpg

Competing to be heard along with Art Blakey and a couple of horns = crank it

Attachments

• transmitter2.jpg
    transmitter2.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 10
OK, two more to add.

#5 - The Depths AKA Luna Vibe

I had high hopes for this pedal based on some demo videos that I'd watched. In the end, I was mostly disappointed. The overall tone feels too brittle and grainy to me. Granted, it's partly my fault for wanting it to be a full blown Uni Vibe...Nowadays, it just sits lonely in the closet without any knobs on.

The stomp switch on the left is a momentary switch that I had planned on using to boost the Rate up, but never bothered to actually wire it up.

IMG_7928.jpg

Luna3.jpg

Luna.jpg

#6 - Golden Fleece clone AKA Steel Wool

Based on the info from this thread discussing the circuit for the Mythos Golden Fleece. I was feeling a little crazier than usually and decided to see what it was like to design my own layout. So, apologies if this offends the aesthetic tastes of layout pros here - this one is definitely a touch scatter brained. I was basically shooting in the dark. At least the rat's nest inside is shiny though!

Right now it has BAT42 diodes, but I have a few other options waiting to be tried out.

"Bear and Ta" is the label we slap on anything built or modified by me and various family members...

Steelwool1.jpg

Steelwool2.jpg

Steelwool3.jpg

Back