Mythos Golden Fleece fuzz

megatrav

I know this one knob fuzz is is based on the Alan Yee Fuzzy Nuts.
I can’t confirm the schematic but someone on Reddit said it’s a clone/modified Electra Distortion. I have no idea how credible that is. E626953A-4C77-4906-8E9C-1A39741373B6.jpeg

This is the schematic I’ve found online, but if anyone wants to trace theirs I’d love to do one.

I’ve seen their one knob fuzz and their diy section on the Electra Distortion. I haven’t seen that pcb on their site for sale. Would the One Knob fuzz be the same?

Well that's at least 75 cents of parts in there, add 50 for the pot. Looks about half as tidy as most of the work from you guys here.

And the there's guys like Ariel Posen and Joey landreth making it sound like a million bucks.
Yes I also would like to know what the schematic is and how close it is to ol' electra. Other boosts like the EQD Speaker Cranker and the Lovepedal JTM are also so close to that.

Here are some gut shots of mine. Looks like maybe a few modifications to the Electra circuit. I took off the B100k cap so you can see the SMD components better. YOLO.

Aside: I had to run the iron all the way up to 715 to get the solder to flow. Maybe they use lead-free solder?

Attachments

• IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_4146.jpg
    IMG_4146.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 509
  • IMG_4162.jpg
    IMG_4162.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 552
Also I’m happy to take measurements on any of the components... but you’ll have to talk me through how to do it

Well... I was bored. And curious. So I took a stab at it.

There's probably a better way to do this, but I just desoldered all the components and measured them, and then I used a multimeter to check continuity between solder pads. Sadly I seem to have fried C5 in doing so. Maybe someone can make an educated guess at what a reasonable value for it would be.

It’s definitely based on the Electra circuit. I had no clue how many designs are! Seems like a fun one to wire up on a breadboard and play with.

Attachments

• IMG_4192.jpg
    IMG_4192.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 904
Had a go at perf boarding this today - seems pretty on to me (I have briefly played a real Golden Fleece). I subbed R2 for 2m2 (typo?) and left C5 as an empty socket to play around with later. I'm fairly certain the diode combo is correct from an old Instagram post Mythos made.

Couple of gut shots of the High Road Golden Fleece:

Attachments

• high road1.jpeg
    high road1.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 368
  • high road 2.jpeg
    high road 2.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Had a go at perf boarding this today - seems pretty on to me (I have briefly played a real Golden Fleece). I subbed R2 for 2m2 (typo?) and left C5 as an empty socket to play around with later. I'm fairly certain the diode combo is correct from an old Instagram post Mythos made.

Couple of gut shots of the High Road Golden Fleece:
Is the transistor a 2N3904 like in the schematic above? Because it looks like he is using BAT41s for the diodes.

> I subbed R2 for 2m2 (typo?)

Yeah almost certainly a typo, but I don’t have it around anymore to check. Good catch 🙂

Is the transistor a 2N3904 like in the schematic above? Because it looks like he is using BAT41s for the diodes.
Sorry should have mentioned those are pulled from the internet so don't have further details. I'm pretty new to this, how would diode selection influence transistor selection (and vice versa)?

Well... I was bored. And curious. So I took a stab at it.

There's probably a better way to do this, but I just desoldered all the components and measured them, and then I used a multimeter to check continuity between solder pads. Sadly I seem to have fried C5 in doing so. Maybe someone can make an educated guess at what a reasonable value for it would be.

It’s definitely based on the Electra circuit. I had no clue how many designs are! Seems like a fun one to wire up on a breadboard and play with.
If I'm reading the data sheet for the MMBT5088 it's marking is '1Q' as shown in your photo, so it looks like its a 2N5088

The diode with the blue ring looks identical to my russian 9DE.

Would I be right in thinking C5 would be in the pF range?

I really have no clue 😅. Also, if you give it a go please note the typo for R2. Should be 2M2 instead of 2K2.

Any one has a chance to compare the sound result based on schematic with the original one ? Original sounds amazing

I really have no clue 😅. Also, if you give it a go please note the typo for R2. Should be 2M2 instead of 2K2.
I caught the 2M2 deft's post thanks, and breadboarded it but unfortunately I sliced the tip of my index finger earlier so can't play tonight.

I was thinking C5 was probably some high frequency filtering to help prevent some radio stations hijacking the guitar signal. But it’s just a guess the BOG uses 100pf, the TDX uses 470pF but this is an opamp OD not at transistor fuzz.

Back