Byrdhouse Compressor Help

Zduck

Howdy. I’m getting no effected signal on this Byrdhouse/Janglebox build.

Bypass works, LED works.

I used a CA3080EZ in place of the NTE996. I don’t have any others on hand to swap in to see if it’s IC. Audio probed I have guitar signal at pin 2 and 3 input. No signal at pins 5 and 6 output. I have voltage of 2.7V on pin 5 and 8.2V on pin 6. Does that sound like a bad IC or something else going on? Thanks!

B724D27D-C2B3-4B3D-B1AF-12712D064D5B.png

Reactions: fig
Houston, I think we have a problem...

NTE996
NTE-Electronics-NTE996.jpg

CA3080EZ etc...

I built the Pedal way back & found this Stash locally.
It works with no issues!

1660257233298.png

Try the diode setting (the grey symbol to the right of the 200Ω setting). Touch the leads together and see what the display reads (it may also beep).
The display goes down to 000 when you touch the leads together in the diode setting, similar to the resistance settings. I checked the scratched copper against the pad and no short.

I just ordered another IC from a reputable company to try, this time a CA3080e for $7. The CA3080ez I have in there now was cheaper than that and ordered from eBay.

Shows dodgy Harris mockup & sends so called Intersil that looks dodgy from China is a pretty good bet it's a Fake!
I should have picked up on this earlier, Fakes have been around for years with this Chip!

Where did you get that pinout for the NTE996? It's an OTA like the CA3080. I don't know what (if anything) that suffix means, though. I've only come across AE packages.
I just typed in "pinout" with each IC name and that's what popped up. I haven't looked at the datasheets of either IC yet.
Sorry if that isn't accurate, I was headed out the door when I posted the pinouts and didn't have time to cross-check.

@Zduck
Got a couple 3080 ICs from Small Bear couple days ago, going to order a few more for the current 22%-off sale (if there's any left).

Best of luck with it.

Back