Byzantium Flanger works for approximately 30 seconds each time I plug the power in.

Yeah, it’s weird. The pedal works fine for approximately 30 seconds each time I unplug and plug the power back in, and then after 30 seconds it seems like the LFO stops oscillating.

Any ideas?

Ok there are the pictures of the board ^.

You can see that the female headers have extra sockets, but I used tweezers to remove the connector bits (essentially turning a 4 pin or 3 pin header into a 2 pin header). Also, I have two capacitors running in parallel to get the value I needed.

It would have to be a far higher value than what is called for. Such as 10M instead of 100k. Best to just take a voltmeter and probe op-amp pins that should be sitting at Vref.

Last edited:
It would have to be a far higher value than what is called for. Such as 10M instead of 100k. Best to just take a voltmeter and probe op-amp pins that should be sitting at Vref.
I just checked the voltage at each pin on the 4558s. I got the following on both:

1. -4.37
2. -4.37
3. -4.37
4. 0
5. -8.86
6. -4.37
7. -4.37
8. -4.37

Do those values seem correct?

Ooohh. You didn’t socket your bbds. This makes the pedal gods angry. In all seriousness though always socket ic’s especially the pricier bbd’s.

First thing I would probably do is just go through and reflow all your solder joints. They don’t look “bad” but it’s one of the easiest first steps for trouble shooting.

Ok I just rechecked my voltages and now on Pin 5 I am indeed getting about 4.5V, and I am also getting 9V on pin 8.

Also, I am getting 5.6V on pin 8 of the TL022 and 5.6V on the output of the 78L05.

Last edited:
I don't know how up to date the info I have is but what value should R50 be in the parts list I've got it's 150K on your pcb it's 470K that looks to be part of the LFO circuit

I didn't check beyond finding that so if you haven't already check all component values and orientation are correct

You could use the BF2 schematic here to give you an idea of the circuit layout obviously the component reference designators won't be the same and I'd imagine it won't have the FET bypass switching

Check your voltage regulator isn't getting hot I know the L78L05 has internal thermal shut down if it gets too hot and therefore shuts down and cuts out

I don't know how up to date the info I have is but what value should R50 be in the parts list I've got it's 150K on your pcb it's 470K that looks to be part of the LFO circuit

I didn't check beyond finding that so if you haven't already check all component values and orientation are correct

You could use the BF2 schematic here to give you an idea of the circuit layout obviously the component reference designators won't be the same and I'd imagine it won't have the FET bypass switching

Check your voltage regulator isn't getting hot I know the L78L05 has internal thermal shut down if it gets too hot and therefore shuts down and cuts out
Oooo I am going to check this. Thanks!

Back