Caesar - BBD chip swap?

Makemoremusic

Hey all! Since the V3207 / 3102 pairs are sold out everywhere, I was wondering if the MN3007 / MN3101 would be usable to swap? I have a friend who’s willing to get me those!

Edit: this is for the Caesar - also willing if anyone has any other recommendations too! Thanks. First post!

Most builds I've seen that can use either the V3207 or MN3007 (ex Lectric-FX flangers) require setting some jumpers and/or some other component value changes — I don't think it's a drop-in replacement, but maybe somebody else can give you a definitive answer.

Reactions: fig
It's possible, but requires a bit of fancy soldering.

They're not a pin-for-pin swap. The 3007 has a permissable voltage range of -18 to +0.3vdc, the V/MN/BL3207 has a permissable range of -0.3 to +11vdc.

So...while the pinouts are identical, the polarity must be reversed...or else you'll fry your BBD.

The Cepheid chorus has a pair of switches in it's schematic drawings: I would recommend taking a look at those, familiarizing yourself with the data sheets. Four components will be affected; the zener diode, the 56Kohm resistor (it's R27 on the Cepheid), the BBD, and the Clock.

It's not an easy modification to make, and honestly, it might be better just to wait until the low voltage BBDs are back in stock. There's a real chance you could end up frying one of those MN3007's...and I know those aren't cheap.

Back