Can we turn the Arche boost down more?

HamishR

I'm really enjoying the Arche boost, whether as part of the Fordoble or with other pedals. But even with volume at minimum there is still a boost. Is there some way we can keep it sounding as wonderful as it does but be able to turn it down to zero? Or at least parity? If I replaced R15 with a jumper would that bring it down to parity?

Ok so I just tried that and yes - it does get down to about unity that way. Now, Can I turn it down any lower?

What if I replaced the boost pot with say a 51K or so resistor and put a volume at the end?

What is R15? I only see up to R10 on the build doc?

I think increasing R7 should decrease the minimum (and maximum) volume.

What if I replaced the boost pot with say a 51K or so resistor and put a volume at the end?
Then you wouldn't have any control of the amount of effect the 1N747As in the feedback loop are having (which you may or may not care about if you just want a clean boost with no clipping).

Don't see why you couldn't tack a volume control on at the end tho, that should be fine

Why not get rid of the 51k output resistor to ground (or reduce to 22k or so) and use a 100k trimmer on the output as a volume control? You could use it just to knock a bit of volume off as a set and forget to get unity with the boost at minimum but then still use the boost to increase the volume.

What is R15? I only see up to R10 on the build doc?

I think increasing R7 should decrease the minimum (and maximum) volume.
Sorry - I was working off a different schematic!

I sorted it out. I was using the Arche Boost as a boost after a Tchula in the same box to make a kind of OD. So I used a 68K resistor in place of the boost pot, got rid of R10 and sent R9 to pin 3 of a B50K pot with pin 1 to ground and pin 2 to out. It makes a surprisingly good OD.

I didn't use the diodes in the Arche because I can't hear any difference with or without them.

So the R7 in the Arche boost with a value of 8,2k defines the minimum volume level? So the 12k (R5) used in the Fordoble on the boost side has a lower minimum volume compared to the Arche boost?

I’m curious whats changed in the boost side of the Electric Lightning pedal compared to the Arche boost. They mention in the Andertons video that noon is unity. Sound wise to me it's quite similar to the boost side of the Dane.

I already own a Crazy Tube Circuits Space charged v2 which I would like to try with an Arche boost.
I will first try it with the Fordoble I already build and see how the boost side works with the Space charged. The boost on the Space charged itself uses 2 different pots to control volume and gain which probably replace or add to the volume and gain for the normal channel. There’s no way to control the lows on the boost side seperately. So it’s interesting to see how it works together with the Arche boost.

Last edited:
cool thread, i've started thinking about adjusting values to tailor pot ranges and it's a great optimization. thanks for the insights!

Back