Cataclysm Delay Freak Out

Untro

Hey all,
So after boxing up my second Cataclysm, I was feelin pretty confident. Plugged it in, and got a horrible distorted squealing! I could barely make out an idea of a delay underneath a constant high pitched feedback which continuously dropped in frequency, until it just passed regular signal. I turned it on and off again, it made dry signal when engaged for a moment, and then completely stopped passing signal.
I tried taking it out, reflowing a few points (which might have done more harm then good tbh, everything seemed fine...), popped it back in with a new set of IC chips and gave it a go, same results. I am fairly convinced that this is the sound of a PT2399 chip dying an excruciating death.

So far all my issues have been user errors and outboard wiring, but I'm a little confused on this one. Troubleshooting circuits is still a skill I lack. I tried reading voltages from the PT2399, which I can report later if relevant. Any help is very welcome!

A few things to note: I installed the TL072 socket backwards, but made sure to put it in right. That shouldn't matter, right?
The IC chips are from Tayda, so I've tried two PTs and more 072s. The first Delay i made with a PT worked fine, though!
And yes, I cleaned the breakout board after taking this picture lol. I need a better alcohol/cleaning setup...

IMG_1485.jpg
IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1486.jpg

Hey uh, is there any more information I can provide? Or a better way to present the issue? Im probably gonna toss this circuit out unless I can figure out why its eating IC chips...

To begin with, measure these voltages on the empty sockets without the ICs inserted. Personally I will always power up a board and measure voltages on the IC sockets before inserting the ICs. That way if anything is way off what you expect you can save expensive damage.
Awesome tip! I don’t have the patience to do that... I just really want to fire it up and rock out all the time.

I would probably try to clean up the PCB with some IPA and reflow any iffy looking solder joints.

Also post the voltages of the chips as well as the voltage regulator. It should be sending out 5V to the PT2399 chip.

Check the resistance of all your resistors. The board is designed for 1/8w resistors, which are about 3.5mm long, you used 1/4w resistors that are 6.8mm long. This shouldn't be an issue, except you bent the heck out of the leads to get them to lay on the board. if you use 1/4w resistors, you should stand them up a bit on this board. There is a chance of damaging were the lead connects to the resistor with such vulgar bends.

Back